Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a ferrous metal top for the oil filter housing (something a magnet will stick to). Does anyone know if such a thing exists in the aftermarket?? The reason I want one is so that I can stick a strong magnet to it which would help remove small ferrous particles from the oil. I've run a magnet on the canister style oil filters of pretty much everything I've owned for several years and they do help. Every oil filter I've cut apart has some junk gathered around the magnets location. I run a fomoto valve on the 6.4 oil pan drain so a magnetic oil drain plug is out. And with the element style filter that leaves me nowhere to put the magnet, unless someone out there makes a ferrous metal oil filter housing lid. Any thoughts?????

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
The only replacements I've seen are plastic or aluminum. But a bump for someone that may know of others.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You would get the same benefit by sticking one to the side of the oil pan. Put it near the bottom and remove the magnet before draining the oil so it flushes the debris out. Or just don't worry about it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Machine shop. Just get one made, or make it yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Why don't you glue, stick, tape or find some other way of attaching a magnet to the cap you've got. If you used a rare earth magnet it would work really well through the plastic cap even.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would get the same benefit by sticking one to the side of the oil pan. Put it near the bottom and remove the magnet before draining the oil so it flushes the debris out. Or just don't worry about it.
Thought about that but when you remove the magnet the metal pan will remain slightly magnetized for awhile afterward, keeping the junk on the side making the flush pretty ineffective.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why don't you glue, stick, tape or find some other way of attaching a magnet to the cap you've got. If you used a rare earth magnet it would work really well through the plastic cap even.
That’s probably the route I'm going to go with but was trying to find a way to make it a little less "ghetto fabulous". Especially considering its one of the first things you see when you open the hood, might scare away a potential buyer when upgrade time rolls around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts