Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, where should I install the EGT Probe? Where can I get an accurate reading, so I won't do any harm when towing? Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
In the manifold, use a drill and make sure you have plenty of grease on it to capture the pieces of metal.

·
Administrator
30,488 Posts
don't have google ? i gave you the site to look for

if you haphazardly drill a hole for and run NPT tap and screw it up your probe will fall in to the manifold

·
Registered
609 Posts
Driver side manifold is the easiest and best place to put it. May however put it post turbo but that wont tell you whats going into it so you wont know if your exhaust is to hot and cook the turbo.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Drivers side exhaust manifold right in the bend where it's about to connect to the up-pipe. I believe the bend is about an inch or 2 from the up-pipe connection.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yea, up pipe is the best place to put it.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Yea, up pipe is the best place to put it.
What? No... in the exhaust manifold in the bend. You also have to make sure that the probe isn't touching the other side when you put it in the hole and tighten it down. When you push the probe in the hole, push it through until it touches the other side (you'll feel it touch) and then put it out just a bit so the probe is about in the center of the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its a pretty basic job. Roll under there on your creeper, drill the hole in the manifold as others have stated. Just make sure you put it in a spot that leaves you enough room to work while tapping it. You can try a little grease on the tip of the bit to help keep shavings out of the manifold. I started the truck quick after I tapped mine to blow as much out as possible. Take care to route the wire safely and you're all set.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
have the truck running when you drill the hole so it blows the metal shavings out the exhaust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts