Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 F250HD 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Troubleshooting why my truck wont charge, again, and discovered a loose wire under the dash. It's a ground wire connected to the firewall right behind the accelerator pedal assembly. Does anyone know where this is supposed to be connected??

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sure looks like someone previously added that for something aftermarket. Not a standard Ford type eye connector on the bolt nor is that a Ford tie-wrap.

As for the truck not charging put a meeter on the back side of the alternator on the output stud and check it, it should be near 14 volts. If it does not read 14 you have narrowed down the problem to no output. If 14 volts then check the other end at the starter solenoid and see if it has the same 14 volts (that is where it is on my truck) if not the fuse link in the wire is likely bad.

Not completely sure how your alternator is attached to the rest of the system but do some tracing of the cables.

How are the batteries? Grounds at the batteries as well as frame and engine?

Also have you checked for codes?? By the way I almost always ask that question.

·
Registered
1997 F250HD 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Thanks for the reply! The batteries are good and I havent checked the grounds, but this evening when I got off work and I put the meter on the voltage regulator connector and relized that I have no voltage on the a leg where I should have voltage, the far left wire. Do you know how those pigtails are connected inside? Maybe its bad or I have a short somewhere. When i jumped it to 12 volts the charge light went out and i think it was charging. i need to figure out if its the harness or not. There's not fuse a in this circuit is there? No codes, and no CEL

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do not know how the plug is setup on your year truck but you may be able to google the alternator and get some information. I do not have good internet at my location to even your photos take a good bit of time to load. I do know that on the 2001 the alternator gets battery voltage on one of the wires on that plug just do not know which one.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Here is a 1997 Charging System diagram for the diesel trucks (you didn't specify your year of truck). Cheers!

Attachments

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Registered
10 Posts
Inspect the exciter wire connection (single white wire). Likely, that is the problem. Had the same problem with mine, the crimp wasn't worth a hoot, repaired it and now good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts