Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new turbo back MBRP the other night and while under there I found this oil on my front passenger frame and also around and dripping down the exhaust clamp at the bottom of my down pipe. It also is making it's way all the way through the exhaust and onto the tailpipe. Truck has 64,000 on it. Thinking about taking it to the dealer, but they told me they will charge 89.99 for each thing they have to look at. Please help me figure out where this is coming from.

Front passenger Frame:

Bottom of DP:

Coming out the Tailpipe:

·
Registered
379 Posts
engine or oil line......

Sorry i had too.
Maybe it collecting in the intercooler and passing through the bearings in turbo? or just bad bearings and seals in turbo, hate to think its coming from heads no way it would run out of the manifolds, up th up pipes and out the exhaust housing without burning up first. A little warm in there

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Oil seal on the exhaust side of the turbo. Its fairly common on 6.0 turbos. Its going to cost you $100 powerstroke motor warranty deductible, but the repair on your own would be way over that. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Do you do your own oil changes or are they done at a shop? Could be a sloppy mech spilling it at the oil fill point.
I don't think that would have it coming out the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
12,528 Posts
Just asking questions since he just installed the exhaust and didnt make notice of it before hand. If someone wanted some work maybe they get sloppy or do this kind of thing on purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
The other way it could leak on the frame like it did is the glowplug O rings in the side of the head leak and will drip oil in that approx location. But as far as it actually coming out the tail pipe its the exhaust turbine seal in the turbo. Becuase any other oil leaking internally, IE crank case vent, or compressor side oil seal, the oil will run through the engine and burn.

If its the turbo they will replace the turbo core, and use your stock housings, they did mine a few months ago. Are you getting any blueish smoke like if you romp on it good, then come to an idle?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The other way it could leak on the frame like it did is the glowplug O rings in the side of the head leak and will drip oil in that approx location. But as far as it actually coming out the tail pipe its the exhaust turbine seal in the turbo. Becuase any other oil leaking internally, IE crank case vent, or compressor side oil seal, the oil will run through the engine and burn.

If its the turbo they will replace the turbo core, and use your stock housings, they did mine a few months ago. Are you getting any blueish smoke like if you romp on it good, then come to an idle?
Thanks for the great info so far guys. Yes I do change my own oil so I know it's not being spilled everywhere. And Yes I do see some white smoke with a little blue in it. I'm taking it in ASAP. Can I hurt anything else driving like this until I can get it resolved. Thanks again for all the input thus far.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,738 Posts
Under your 5 yr / 100k mile emissions warranty you should not be charged for labor, diagnosis, or parts for any emissions control device or system (ie no $100 deductible):

Air flow sensor
Air Fuel Feedback control System and sensors
Cold start enrichment system
Electronic engine control sensors and switches
EGR system
Exhaust manifold
Fuel Injection System
Intercooler Assembly - Engine Charger
Power Train Control Module
Turbocharger Assembly

Also covered by the two emissions warranties (Emissions defect warranty and Emissions performance warranty):
All emisssions-related bulbs, hoses, brackets, tubes, gaskets, seals, belts, connectors, non-diesel fuel lines and wiring harnesses that are used with components on the list above.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Under your 5 yr / 100k mile emissions warranty you should not be charged for labor, diagnosis, or parts for any emissions control device or system (ie no $100 deductible):

Air flow sensor
Air Fuel Feedback control System and sensors
Cold start enrichment system
Electronic engine control sensors and switches
EGR system
Exhaust manifold
Fuel Injection System
Intercooler Assembly - Engine Charger
Power Train Control Module
Turbocharger Assembly

Also covered by the two emissions warranties (Emissions defect warranty and Emissions performance warranty):
All emisssions-related bulbs, hoses, brackets, tubes, gaskets, seals, belts, connectors, non-diesel fuel lines and wiring harnesses that are used with components on the list above.
Good call, this may actually fall under the 5 year 100k emissions not actually the 100k powerstroke motor warranty. Just make sure you take it to a dealer that doesnt give you crap for having a aftermarket exhaust and no cat if thats missing........

I would get it in when you can, just watch your oil level, you are basically just putting engine oil in the exhaust, it isnt going to hurt anything. I think its part of the TSB that Ford follows, they cant just replace the seal, they have to replace the turbo center section, (most likely a rebuilt unit), so you really arent worried about trashing the turbo. :dunno:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, that would be great if it did fall under the emissions warranty! If they did say something about my exhaust though, don't they have to prove that it was the cause for the damage?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Oil seal on the exhaust side of the turbo. Its fairly common on 6.0 turbos. Its going to cost you $100 powerstroke motor warranty deductible, but the repair on your own would be way over that. :thumb:
This.
It's common as you said.

·
10,738 Posts
Be sure to take your manual with you so you can show them the emissions warranty. They have been known to try to get out of it (usually by not mentioning it). I can email you a manual in pdf form if you need it (ie if you do not have one).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok,I found the manual and will take it with me, Thanks again everyone

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Yes they would have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem to deny warranty work. But the issue is that a factory installed emissions control device, IE the CAT is not installed. If they are cool they wont care, if they are azzes they might throw a fit. :dunno:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an '06 in right now for a turbo repair. They mentioned the $100 deductible, but it would obviously be nice to have it covered under the emissions warranty. Should I just mention this? I don't see a reason to point at the manual, unless I have to clarify it, which I shouldn't have to.

·
10,738 Posts
I have heard multiple stories of dealerships covering it under warranty (ie no deductible) and multiple stories of folks getting charged the deductible. You may have to fight for it. Should you have to? No, but you might have to ....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.