Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pyrometer from SCT, and the instructions say to plumb into the exhaust manifold. I don't like the idea of messing with the manifold, so I want to put it in the down-pipe. Will there be a big difference in the temperature from one side of the turbo to the other?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Yes, about 150-200* with a few other variables.

Drilling and tapping the manifold is pretty straight forward, and gives you the most accurate reading. Your other option is tapping the uppipe instead of the manifold.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manifold is cast right? I just see cracking issues later on. What temp am I looking for? I see different numbers all of the time.

·
Banned
3,782 Posts
The manifold is cast right? I just see cracking issues later on. What temp am I looking for? I see different numbers all of the time.
If there was a problem with drilling the manifold, do you think everyone else would drill there? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Do the manifold just before the up pipe, you will be fine, I've had it in both down pipe and manifold, down pipe was atleast 300* off at most times, placement in down pipe is kinda like factory dummy gauges once its hit that high temp your staying away from your to late because it didn't pick it up in time

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
The manifold is
where you want it, the whole idea in monitoring EGT's is so that you dont smoke your turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts