Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright yall, here is what it is doing. I'd say 90% of the time I try to start my truck from a cold start, it turns over for about 4 - 5 seconds then sounds like all of the electrical power has almost drained then it finally cranks. Sometimes I have to turn it over a second time. On the second try it usually cranks up pretty quick then runs fine. Once truck is initially started, it will restart fine until it has sat somewhere for a while (2 - 3 hours minimum) and then here we go again with the starting issue when I get back in it. Outside temperatures seem to have no affect on this. On rare occassion, there is a barely noticable puff of smoke out the exhaust on start up. I'm looking for suggestions on where to start looking for this problem. This is getting old. Any ideas?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Test the batteries, alternator, and starter. I don't think it is an engine problem if I am reading your post correctly. Your truck is cranking slowly and barely starts. That sounds like an electrical problem. I just got new batteries because of the same problem. I dealt with it for a couple months testing the starter, alternator and batteries, I even checked the battery cables. It ended up being the batteries were bad. I even had to jump start my truck on several occassions.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll start with checking the batteries. I'm not the original owner, but I think these may be the original batteries. They probably getting tired if they are original. Trucks got 92,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
dont make the common diesel mistake when checking batteries. unhook one of them before testing or you will test both at the same time and show good even if they are not. not trying to make anyone feel stupid but i have seen it done many times. I just replaced mine. when i turned the key on a relay would buzz and my radio would go out and come back on but truck started fine. I had a dead cell in one battery. with glow plugs on then the abs self test would draw just enough to kill the radio for a second.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help folks! I had the batteries tested and both were bad. Two new batteries installed, and she is starting with some authority now!!

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Thanks for your help folks! I had the batteries tested and both were bad. Two new batteries installed, and she is starting with some authority now!!
nice fix man. glad it worked out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts