Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am fairly new to this forum, and have been reading ALOT of the threads just getting a feel for it. I recently bought a 2000 F350 PSD CC SB 4x4 automatic, bone stock except for lift and 35"s. 78k miles.

i am in the military and currently deployed, so i havent even driven the truck, but...i already have Mod Fever

from what i have been reading, i just went with this setup:

1. DIY 3 Gauge pod and pillar from ITP (DiPricol Optix) pyro/boost
2. DP-Tuner stock, no-start, 80econo, 120race, 140agressive
3. DP gauge remote(hence the 3 pod pillar)
4. ordered 2x 6637's, oil filters, and fuel filters from fleet filter
5. stock exhaust(till i get home) planning on 4" straight pipes ASAP

here is my question:

i read mixed reviews on these mods...most say its good, some say you are gonna have turbo problems, HPOP issues...do i need a boost fooler?
what are the limits on a stock turbo as far as psi and turbo life?

i plan on doing the foil delete because i want the turbo to be loud.

what is next to do? can the tranny handle what i got goin on under the hood?

i could keep going, but i think this one is long enough!

thanks in advance!

Justin

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would maybe get a tow tune as well...

A boost fooler is a good idea...

and it is always good to get the tranny and torque converter ready for extra power.

·
Registered
738 Posts
you're gonna need a trans temp gauge as well if you want to make that automatic last as long as it can.
you'll want to get a boost fooler to keep the engine from defueling at 22-25psi. Stock turbo is at its max at around 30psi. Running daily at 30psi on the stock turbo won't last too long. Without the boost fooler, you'll set a service engine soon light, it'll deuel, you'll feel it, and wish you had gotten the fooler.

is someone going to be putting these mods on for ya or are you going to do it? I wouldn't let anyone do these mods and fly around in my truck while i wasn't within arms reach, otherwise you probably will need that new tranny or something even more expensive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You are on the right track. I am in the process of doing all of the supporting mods so that I can install a DP tunner as well. Here are the things that I have either ordered or am in the process of installing. I will list them in order of importance from what I have learned.

1.gauges: you need to add a trans temp guage not an option IMO get the 4 pod that is what I ordered.

2. Intake and exauhst: these will help lower EGT's and make the turbo happier

3. valve body: the stock vb shifts to slow and will heat the trans with a chip. JJody will tune the chip for this so this is a must before the chip or it will have to be reburned.

4. overboost ahnialator from ITP, without it you will defuel and not hit full HP

5. wicked wheel or ats housing keeps the turbo from damaging surge

these are the things that I would do before the chip. Better to build a foundation before you put up the walls:thumb:

BTW thanks for serving our country.:thumb:

more folks will chime in on things I may have forgotten

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is someone going to be putting these mods on for ya or are you going to do it? I wouldn't let anyone do these mods and fly around in my truck while i wasn't within arms reach, otherwise you probably will need that new tranny or something even more expensive.

I had a really good friend of mine, an older ex-army dude go and giver it the once over and drive it for me, now it is just hanging out at his house wating for me to get home. As far as the mods go, im just ordering it up as fast as i can, its all sitting at my house in the boxes waiting...i couldnt let anyone else do the mods...gives me an excuse to hang in the garage and drink beer with my buddies!:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are on the right track. I am in the process of doing all of the supporting mods so that I can install a DP tunner as well. Here are the things that I have either ordered or am in the process of installing. I will list them in order of importance from what I have learned.

1.gauges: you need to add a trans temp guage not an option IMO get the 4 pod that is what I ordered.

2. Intake and exauhst: these will help lower EGT's and make the turbo happier

3. valve body: the stock vb shifts to slow and will heat the trans with a chip. JJody will tune the chip for this so this is a must before the chip or it will have to be reburned.

4. overboost ahnialator from ITP, without it you will defuel and not hit full HP

5. wicked wheel or ats housing keeps the turbo from damaging surge

these are the things that I would do before the chip. Better to build a foundation before you put up the walls:thumb:

BTW thanks for serving our country.:thumb:

more folks will chime in on things I may have forgotten
i know its a 350, but i might only tow a small quad trailer and maybe a boat trailer for a buddy or something...i opted to go w/o tranny temp because of that...

intake/exhaust will be done as soon as i get back stateside

as far as the tranny goes, it will last a while i would hope.:dunno: i'll just set aside a little bit here and there till shes a goner and then get me a tougher one.

and the overboost is being bought after this post. i have been eyeing it and its not that pricey so why not?

thanks for answering so quick!

·
Registered
318 Posts
sounds like you are on the right track, I would get a 4" downpipe with full exhaust to help with egts for sure. You mentioned DIY guage pod, dont know if you meant DIY intake cause youll be wanting plenty of air with those mods...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like you are on the right track, I would get a 4" downpipe with full exhaust to help with egts for sure. You mentioned DIY guage pod, dont know if you meant DIY intake cause youll be wanting plenty of air with those mods...
I am planning on doing the DIY intake, but i ordered the DIY kit from ITP that gives you the pillar, gauges, wires, and paint. I found that to be cheaper and less of a headache than trying to get it all separate. and i got the OPTIX gauges that i wanted.

as far as the downpipe is concerned, i read conflicting articles about that. Maybe you could clear em up?

one said they had issues with low end power with a 4" dp and straight pipes
another says they had issues with not enough back pressure...and everywhere else i read the turbo itself provides enough backpressure that the DP size is just fine at 4", and some say leave it at 3.5".:confused:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have always heard that 4" gives a good balance of flow and backpressure. I bought mine off of Scheid diesel and then built the rest from 4". It also lowers EGTs and sounds amazing :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just put on a straight 4" turbo back....I have noticed nothing but improvement. I think everyone on here is going to agree that a tranny gauge is still needed to monitor temps. You are putting way more power then stock through that thing and it WILL heat up. If you are already dealing with ITP then get the John Wood valve body to firm up the shifts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will break down and get a tranny gauge, dont wanna half a$$ anything...
i figure i got the pillar gauge, i might put a tranny gauge under the dash or somewhere in there? with diesel at $4/ gallon in tucson right now, i doubt i'll be able to afford driving it long enough to heat it up too bad, but i will be mindful until i get it not to get too crazy.

i put a few pictures in the gallery, they arent the best, but i have to figure out how to resize some of the others before i can put em in there. its killing me knowing it is just sitting there for me...these last 2 weeks are draggin!:crazy:

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
BTW the truck looks real nice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
BTW the truck looks real nice!
Thanks man! you are seeing all i have seen of it since i bought it...i was searching for months on Autotrader, ad=nd saw a bunch of high mileage trucks that were pretty beat up for what i wanted to spend. came across this one 10 minutes after the guy posted it, he was close to where i lived so i had my buddy jet up there and he took the listing off! paid for it a week later and there it sits:(, but when i get home, :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
create a signature for your truck it will help us in answering questions...plus it lets you show off what you got:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
was working on that just now...should be on this one

yup...

·
Registered
738 Posts
since it is lifted with bigger tires, its gonna put more strain on the tranny. So it will heat up faster. Tranny gauge is a must I think. If you see it getting hot you can stop before it starts to slip and clutches start to burn out. It could be a clogged cooler or bad bypass line, both of which can happen just driving with no towing at all. you could get that fixed, instead of paying the $3000+ for a new tranny. Also, there are a variety of different gauge mounting pods for our trucks. On the dash, behind the steering wheel, overhead, etc. Ask CSIPsd, hes got like 17 gauges now I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.