Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 100,000 mile I have had no probelms with my 2005 6.0 F350. Now I go thru 2 quarts in 5000 miles. I do not see big clouds of blue smoke behind me, and I have no oil leaks. So where is the oil going???? injector O rings?

Also I have a slow start condition when I first start up in the morning or after it has set for more than a couple of hours. The Motor catches but it sounds like it is slowly building to idle speed and then run normally. The motor doesn't miss or stumble it is just eating oil......:dunno:

No Mods to the truck other than a K&N air filter and AMSOIL by-pass filter.

05 F-350 4x4 6 speed Manual.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If it's not leaking it, it's burning it. From reading the forums, the turbo is a likely suspect so you may want to check it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'll buy that the oil is being burned and the turbo could be suspect but why the slow start after sitting for serveral hours or over night??

I first noticed this this winter, if I had the truck plugged in the motor would slowly start and work to Idle speed. If I did not plug the truck in the motor would catch anf instantly come to idle speed. To me it sound like a fueling issue, it as if when the motor is warm or the air temps are warm it is like the fuel takes it's time getting to the injectors.

The truck run fairly smooth warm or cold.
I do not notice any oil residue in the tail pipe.
I did have the intercooler pipe off yesterday and found oil in the pipe but I am told this is normal.

How do I check to see if the turbo is leaking oil???

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:bump:

Still looking for some help please

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
You can be burning oil thru the turbo or the cylinders or just pumping raw oil into the air charge cooler and slowly filling it up.

Oil gets burned by the turbo useually by a leaking turbo bearing seal.
Cylinders useually by leaking oil past worn rings and gets burned in the cylinder dureing combustion.

On rare occasions due to excess crank case pressure the CCV filter gets saturated with oil and the intake starts sucking oil into the air charge ducting and cooler. Some oil mist will be drawn into the cylinders and burned and some will gradually accumulate in the botton of the air charge cooler eventually filling it up.

If it is being burned in small amounts the smoke will be like a blue haze and hard to detect at times.

I have on occasion found over a gallon of oil in the air cooler when I flush one out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Danny Boy950,
I had the intake side of the turbo tubing off yesterday and it looks like the CCV might be the issue. There was oil around and inside the tube leading to the turbo.... I will have to chek the CCV today.
Thanks for the idea.

RWB

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
A little oil is normal but if there is a lot then ya need to check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts