Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how can you tell if you have a bad injector? What symptoms would you have.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hard starts, rough idles, white exhaust at startup (from an injector sticking open), loss of power, etc.

The first thing to do if you think your injectors are going bad is to add a good fuel additive, do an oil change with full synthetic, and add 2 jars of Rev-X to the oil.

Most times, that will stop the problem, but if your injectors are too fargone, it might not.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck starts fine no smoke. Idles ruff shakes the whole truck. Scanned for codes nothing found. Checked for injector misfires none found. It is low on power.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It could be injectors sticking closed, yes. Does it get better once it warms up? Generally injectors, once they warm up, behave better. The first few signs of injector problems generally only happen when they're cold.

It could also be a stuck open EGR valve, low fuel pressure, or a few other things. Whats your scanguage saying about FICM Voltage, and everything else related to fuel?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I just had all 8 of mine replaced. My main issue was no low end power. It was really bad pulling out into traffic and when I hooked up to a trailer, it almost would not even go up a hill! Really wasnt smoking, just no low end power and had a really bad lope at idle. I had 3 injecters throwing codes so just had all 8 done. What are you using to read codes? My scangaugeII would not read them but infact, I did have "soft" codes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FICM voltage holds at 48.5 starting to running. Started truck at 67 degrees this morning was fine drove less than a mile EOT was about 160 stopped at a stop sign truck was shaking. Accelerated from stop you could fee the motor hesitate. Has been that way all day.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used my scangauge, sct tuner and a Mac tools scanner.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Could be injector failure or low fuel pressure, or injector failure caused by low fuel pressure. You don't happen to have a Fuel pressure guage, do you?

If you can gauge your fuel pressure, if it drops below 40 at all, that will kill injectors. I'd Try replacing the regulator spring and adding rev-x to your oil before spending the money on brand new injectors. A Fuel Pressure guage will help you determine if thats the problem, and if so, if simply fixing the regulator fixes it. It may have caused permanent damage to the injectors, but you won't know until you get the fuel pressure back up to proper levels, if they are, indeed, low.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm having same issue, misfiring under accel and at cruising speeds, I hit a little incline more misfire
all my guages read good, no codes, full synth oil

·
Registered
264 Posts
As has been mentioned many times before on this site, These Trucks must be kept above 40PSI and below 70PSI fuel pressure. 60psi is about perfect. The old spring on the regulator wears out over time, and will allow this pressure to drop dangerously low. When the pressure drops, it kills injectors. When the pressure is too high, it blows o-rings.

Pretty much the standard cheaper first step for injector problems is a replacement of the Regulator spring, Oil change to full synthetic oil, adding Rev-X in your oil, and a good Fuel additive to increase lubricity in your fuel (I personally use and recommend Opti-Lube XPD, that stuff is AMAZING). Considering all of the above can be done for under $200, and one injector is twice that, it's definitely worth trying before actually replacing injectors.

There's a good thread on here about Rev-X and how our trucks actually use oil under high pressure as a hydraulic fluid in the injectors, something it was not designed to do. Rev-X specifically makes it behave better in this regard, in addition to helping clean off any gunk or varnishing that could cause stiction.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just got lucky. Since the truck cooled down I went out and and checked the connections to the FICM and the injection harness. I found one of the metal clips for one of the injectors was gone. Fired the motor up it was rocking the truck. I figured why not take it off the injector while running and see how bad it would run. Well pulled it and the motor was rocking the truck but no worse. So now I know how the motor is with an injector not firing in a closed position. Now I plug it back in and it runs better then back to rocking the truck. Well I figure there must be the bad injector so I played with the connector a little and found if it tilted it to the fire wall it would cause the motor to miss tilted it to the radiator and the motor ran smooth. Well shoot put the clip on the harness to the injector now it runs fine.

DEESLVRGN I would look at getting an new injection harness. Check to see if all the silver metal clips are on the the connectors that sit on top of the injectors first.

Just info. I have the blue spring in the FPR and I run Fords cetane boost with TCW3 2 stroke oil. Rotella T-6

Thanks to all of you that posted up!

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
FICM voltage holds at 48.5 starting to running. Started truck at 67 degrees this morning was fine drove less than a mile EOT was about 160 stopped at a stop sign truck was shaking. Accelerated from stop you could fee the motor hesitate. Has been that way all day.
Yep, that's what mine did when injector #6 went.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well I just got lucky. Since the truck cooled down I went out and and checked the connections to the FICM and the injection harness. I found one of the metal clips for one of the injectors was gone. Fired the motor up it was rocking the truck. I figured why not take it off the injector while running and see how bad it would run. Well pulled it and the motor was rocking the truck but no worse. So now I know how the motor is with an injector not firing in a closed position. Now I plug it back in and it runs better then back to rocking the truck. Well I figure there must be the bad injector so I played with the connector a little and found if it tilted it to the fire wall it would cause the motor to miss tilted it to the radiator and the motor ran smooth. Well shoot put the clip on the harness to the injector now it runs fine.

DEESLVRGN I would look at getting an new injection harness. Check to see if all the silver metal clips are on the the connectors that sit on top of the injectors first.

Just info. I have the blue spring in the FPR and I run Fords cetane boost with TCW3 2 stroke oil. Rotella T-6

Thanks to all of you that posted up!
Good to hear that it was just a loose connection! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts