Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the avg mileage of a 6.0 psd that goes kaput for good? And what happens to them? I dont find any 6.0 on craigslist for sale with anything over 250k, but ive found 7.3's with over 350k for sale. My early 04 has 227.3k and runs perfect.

· Premium Member
10,129 Posts
227.4k then KAPLOW!! LOL!!!

· Premium Member
6,634 Posts
227.4k then KAPLOW!! LOL!!!
:hehe:

Whenever they decide to swallow a lifter. It is like the age-old question "How many licks to the center of a tootsie pop?"

· Registered
368 Posts
So...if you take care of a 6.0L...it's inevitable that a lifter will fall apart and thats how they will all eventually die?

Since you have to basically take the engine completely down to replace the lifters...few will ever replace them ahead of a failure. And what would you put back in? OEM lifters?

I have a hard time accepting a lifter is what will ruin the engine. Not that it won't do the job of killing the engine...just sucks that it all comes down to something thats been around for a hundred years...and somehow they messed it up. Lifters in anything else last about a million miles.

· Registered
2,087 Posts
So...if you take care of a 6.0L...it's inevitable that a lifter will fall apart and thats how they will all eventually die?

Since you have to basically take the engine completely down to replace the lifters...few will ever replace them ahead of a failure. And what would you put back in? OEM lifters?

I have a hard time accepting a lifter is what will ruin the engine. Not that it won't do the job of killing the engine...just sucks that it all comes down to something thats been around for a hundred years...and somehow they messed it up. Lifters in anything else last about a million miles.
Lol they screwed up with the whole motor.....the lifters by far out last the heads

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide App

· Registered
1,111 Posts
I would say a 6.0 is done for good when a piston shoots out the side of the block or launches the head through the hood and rips the deck surface off.

Like already been said, take care of it and it will take care of you.

· Registered
295 Posts
Part of the reason you are seeing more high mileage 7.3's than 6.0's is because they are older, thus giving more time to rack up more miles. Another couple years and you will start seeing a lot more high mileage 6.0's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.