Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when you will be able to order an 09? Does anyone know of any changes Ford will make on the 09's? (still hoping for a 6sp auto!!..lol) I went around to a few local dealers on Saturday and the salesmen were waiting outside to attack you as soon as the car door opened !!!.. I didnt want the hassle so I figured I'd ask here first..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Does anyone know when you will be able to order an 09? Does anyone know of any changes Ford will make on the 09's? (still hoping for a 6sp auto!!..lol) I went around to a few local dealers on Saturday and the salesmen were waiting outside to attack you as soon as the car door opened !!!.. I didnt want the hassle so I figured I'd ask here first..
I know I'm new to this truck and I don't know a great deal about it but I thought that the '08 DID come with an available 6sp auto. I thought the only 5sp auto was the Torqshift(trademark:)) transmission. No?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have seen no evidence of a 6 speed auto on the 08.

I would wait on the 09 to come out and see how it does before ordering. There are bound to be more incentives after it comes out.

I was looking at an 08 Road King yesterday.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
There will be no changes I'm sure....the truck is almost totally new....so I'm sure Ford is going to run for at least another year....as for the tranny, its kinda funny and hard to explain.....this is why we were having a hard time on the dyno too.....the tranny is a 5 speed, but 5th has an overdrive thats almost makes it 1 to 1 for the highway....so it can be said it has a 6th gear but there is no full shift.....does that make sense??

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
There will be no changes I'm sure....the truck is almost totally new....so I'm sure Ford is going to run for at least another year....as for the tranny, its kinda funny and hard to explain.....this is why we were having a hard time on the dyno too.....the tranny is a 5 speed, but 5th has an overdrive thats almost makes it 1 to 1 for the highway....so it can be said it has a 6th gear but there is no full shift.....does that make sense??
Can you elaborate a little more?

If I understand correctly, 5th is not overdrive to 4th. Yet there is a taller gear beyond 5th but a full shift? What do you mean by not a full shift?

Sorry for being such a :tard: about this.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It is confusing. I can't even find fourth. I know it's there because it shifts four times but how do you get to it manually?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It is confusing. I can't even find fourth. I know it's there because it shifts four times but how do you get to it manually?
Well, if it shifts 4 times, that means you are in 5th. Right?

I still don't understand this 5th/6th tranny stuff. I think my craving of beer is clouding my comprehension.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Can you elaborate a little more?

If I understand correctly, 5th is not overdrive to 4th. Yet there is a taller gear beyond 5th but a full shift? What do you mean by not a full shift?

Sorry for being such a :tard: about this.
Dirk was trying to explain it to me when we were at the dyno, so I may not have everything right, but its like an over drive for 5th gear, so its not a gear itself.....I believe what it actually does it lock up the TC so there isn't a gear change, so you won't notice it, but more power is being put to the ground so the engine is working easier and therefore better fuel mileage.... the reason I asked this was because when the guy on the dyno would get the trucks into 5 gear and right before he would hit it, he would tap the brakes to lock up the TC and then punch it.....when I asked what he was doing Dirk told me this....so its like another gear, but it isn't

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I am not sure when you will be able to order them but there will be changes made:

Some changes for 09

Harley Davidson

Ebony exterior, Ebony with Vista Blue Flames, Dark Blue Pearl with Vista Blue flames
Available F250/350 SRW and F450 Box for first time
Center wheel cap for DRW
F250, F350, or F450 badge assemblies into Ebony or Vista Blue fender vent assembly
New unique tape stripes for monotone color

Cabela Edition

Available in F250/350 SRW
Locked gun stowage under rear seat
Locked stowage inside front center console
2 tone paint like Harley with tape stripes
Cabela tailgate badge
Unique 4 x 4 sticker
Unique fender badges

All 2009's

Spray in bed liners
SYNC
Lighted running boards for KR
Chrome accents on radio & CCH
Rain lamps - optional on XLT -standard on FX4 and Lariat
SOS post crash alert
Charge Motion Control Valve delete on 5.4's
Perimeter alarm
6" chrome running board
16k trailor hitch (eliminate reducer sleeve and pin)
Oil change monitor
Heated convex spotter mirrors
Lariat interior-Black
Darken grey interior
Add Rancho shocks to Off Road Pckg
Add FX4 Luxury package
Lighted Running boards for KR

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I am not sure when you will be able to order them but there will be changes made:

Some changes for 09

Harley Davidson

Ebony exterior, Ebony with Vista Blue Flames, Dark Blue Pearl with Vista Blue flames
Available F250/350 SRW and F450 Box for first time
Center wheel cap for DRW
F250, F350, or F450 badge assemblies into Ebony or Vista Blue fender vent assembly
New unique tape stripes for monotone color

Cabela Edition

Available in F250/350 SRW
Locked gun stowage under rear seat
Locked stowage inside front center console
2 tone paint like Harley with tape stripes
Cabela tailgate badge
Unique 4 x 4 sticker
Unique fender badges

All 2009's

Spray in bed liners
SYNC
Lighted running boards for KR
Chrome accents on radio & CCH
Rain lamps - optional on XLT -standard on FX4 and Lariat
SOS post crash alert
Charge Motion Control Valve delete on 5.4's
Perimeter alarm
6" chrome running board
16k trailor hitch (eliminate reducer sleeve and pin)
Oil change monitor
Heated convex spotter mirrors
Lariat interior-Black
Darken grey interior
Add Rancho shocks to Off Road Pckg
Add FX4 Luxury package
Lighted Running boards for KR
What the heck are rain lamps?

BTW, now they add Black Interior to the Lariat?!?! :doh:

I can do without everthing else. The heated spotter mirror is a nice touch, though it's not much of a problem for me. As long as the upper is heated, I am good to go.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Dirk was trying to explain it to me when we were at the dyno, so I may not have everything right, but its like an over drive for 5th gear, so its not a gear itself.....I believe what it actually does it lock up the TC so there isn't a gear change, so you won't notice it, but more power is being put to the ground so the engine is working easier and therefore better fuel mileage.... the reason I asked this was because when the guy on the dyno would get the trucks into 5 gear and right before he would hit it, he would tap the brakes to lock up the TC and then punch it.....when I asked what he was doing Dirk told me this....so its like another gear, but it isn't
Very intresting. Must read further into this.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
What the heck are rain lamps?
I believe they are the headlights that come on automatically when they sense rain/water:dunno:

I agree, alot of useless stuff that doesn't belong on a pick up on that list lol.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Well, if it shifts 4 times, that means you are in 5th. Right?

I still don't understand this 5th/6th tranny stuff. I think my craving of beer is clouding my comprehension.
Yea, that's what I mean. It shifts four times indication five different ratios. However the manual selector selects third gear. So lets say your driving and want fourth gear. Where is it?

I guess I got used to a three speed with OD having a final drive (1 to 1 ratio) selection. This tranny ratio 1 to 1 is fourth gear, and there is no selection for it.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Yea, that's what I mean. It shifts four times indication five different ratios. However the manual selector selects third gear. So lets say your driving and want fourth gear. Where is it?

I guess I got used to a three speed with OD having a final drive (1 to 1 ratio) selection. This tranny ratio 1 to 1 is fourth gear, and there is no selection for it.
Well the only thing I can come up with is that if you need to find fourth....try the tow haul button or slow to where you can drop it in 3rd and then get the RPMs up slightly and shift in to drive :dunno:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The tow haul does not put it in fourth, it winds the gears more and downshifts.

1, 2, and 3 put the transmission in that gear without any shifting.

What I think is that the controls do not match the transmission. It should have 1, 2, 3, 4 and D.

Fourth gear should be the selection to have the transmission start in first and shift normally until it reaches 4th. D should shift normally until it gets to 5th. The Tow Haul button would still do the same thing, wind the gears more and down shift.

Or it could have 1,2,3, and D, make D 4th gear and have a separate OD button.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
in 20 years when i can afford one it wont matter lol haha

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
The 5r110 is a 5 speed trans and 5th gear is OD. A few people claim to "feel" it shift into a 6th gear. I'm 99.99% sure this is the TC locking. As far as the dyno runs with Julian's 08 (and all the other trucks with the 5r110), depending on who the truck was tuned and how people drive their trucks.. the trans downshifts at different speeds/rpm's. Julian's and Alan's truck were odd. First off, Julian's truck downshifted multiple times on different runs on different tunes at different speeds. Alan's truck did similar things, but there were other issues. I believe the downshifting was purely from driving habits.

Bringing the truck up to speed (60-70mph+) on the dyno, then tapping the brake for a split second before going WOT.. tricked the truck into keeping the trans in OD for the full run.

The tow haul does not put it in fourth, it winds the gears more and downshifts.

1, 2, and 3 put the transmission in that gear without any shifting.

What I think is that the controls do not match the transmission. It should have 1, 2, 3, 4 and D.

Fourth gear should be the selection to have the transmission start in first and shift normally until it reaches 4th. D should shift normally until it gets to 5th. The Tow Haul button would still do the same thing, wind the gears more and down shift.

Or it could have 1,2,3, and D, make D 4th gear and have a separate OD button.
Quoted truth. Tow/haul does not choose the gear.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Well there you have it.....as far as the tow/haul I was just saying if your at a low RPMs in 5th and your not going into 4th and you want to.....maybe pushing the buttom might help....its just an idea

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yea, that should work. If you are not in tow haul and in 5th at certain speed activating it could down shift. I'm not even sure that 4th would be desirable over 5th but it would be nice to see if it would make any difference. In some situations it might be better than having the tranny shift too much while towing.

Here are some ratios, I'm not sure this is for the 08 or if it has changed. It is for a 5R110.

Gear Ratios:
3.1:1 1st gear
2.2:1 2nd gear
1.5:1 3rd gear
1.00:1 4th gear
.7:1 5th gear
2.9:1 reverse

If you could lock it in 4 it might put down more power.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Yea, that should work. If you are not in tow haul and in 5th at certain speed activating it could down shift. I'm not even sure that 4th would be desirable over 5th but it would be nice to see if it would make any difference. In some situations it might be better than having the tranny shift too much while towing.

Here are some ratios, I'm not sure this is for the 08 or if it has changed. It is for a 5R110.

Gear Ratios:
3.1:1 1st gear
2.2:1 2nd gear
1.5:1 3rd gear
1.00:1 4th gear
.7:1 5th gear
2.9:1 reverse

If you could lock it in 4 it might put down more power.
I was looking for that. :thumb:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 29 Posts