Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 04 Ex came with a 3.5" Fabtech lift and a dual (opposing) steering stabilizer setup, but the two shocks are in bad shape. I was thinking about replacing, but are they even needed? Other than the typical "take them off and try it without them" which I will more than likely try, at what point is a stabilizer or duals necessary? Is it really necessary with only 3.5" and 325/65/18's? I guess part of it could depend on how it rides and drives, but was curious if there was "a point" where they were needed. I guess part of me is stuck in 1/2 ton world where sometimes excessive stabilizer "pressure" could cause problems making the steering box lossen up from the frame or wallow out the holes.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
I wouldn't say they are necessary.....but they definitely do help (especially the nitrogen charged shocks instead of hydraulic).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i have the same question...my truck is lifted with 37s...my truck was neglected from the factory to even have one...should i go dual or single?? :dunno:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the same question...my truck is lifted with 37s...my truck was neglected from the factory to even have one...should i go dual or single?? :dunno:
Answering my own question maybe, I think it depends on how your truck drives. Does it ever pull to a side and surprise you? Do the tires "guide" the steering wheel? Is it difficult to control?

I am thinking once I replce my worn out shocks (normal, not stabilizer) I will see how it drives and see if it really needs it. I had a 1/2 ton 84 Diesel suburban lifted 4" with springs, and running 35/12.50 tires and it kind of did its own thing without a stabilizer. I put a single on because I had heard of issues at the steering box.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dual opposing nitrogen charged stabilizers is the best way to go, IMO.
Do you happen to know if the Fabtechs are nitrogen? Is that common, or is it the exception being nitrogen?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Fabtech white body shocks are not nitrogen charged. Not sure on the Dirt Logic.

Icon and Bilstein are generally what we use for a 2.0" diameter nitrogen charged stabilizer shock.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am putting Bilsteins the rest of the way around so might have to look into them for the dual stabilizer as well. Need to figure out which ones fit the kit I guess. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
With a few measurements off of your kit or off of the stabilizers (if you remove them) we could figure out what would be the correct Bilstein for your application.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With a few measurements off of your kit or off of the stabilizers (if you remove them) we could figure out what would be the correct Bilstein for your application.
Will take you up on that once I get the shocks on and stabilizers off. Will be a few days before the shocks come in.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
DC, what are the price on those bad lads?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
lol sorry. the super duper dual opposed nitrogen steering stabilizers...was curious how much the set was

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
lol sorry. the super duper dual opposed nitrogen steering stabilizers...was curious how much the set was
With or without the brackets?

For a 99-04 like yours we could do the BDS brackets and Bilstein shocks (click the Customize button):
BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit - 1999-2004 F250/350 4wd - Steering Stabilizers - Truck Toyz Store

For a nicer mount that sits higher up, there is always the Icon:
Icon Vehicle Dynamics 1999-2004 FSD Dual Steering Stabilizer Bracket Kit - Steering Stabilizers - Truck Toyz Store

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
im really liking the price better on the BDS kit...lol. how do the stabilizers mount on that kit? one on top of each other or..?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
They are both dual opposing setups.

With the BDS brackets they both mount under the tie rod....one on the passenger side and one on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
ok. so they arent "stacked" like the rancho ones?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
what do you recommend for shocks? i have the basic procomp shocks that came with my kit about a year ago.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts

BDS with Bilsteins

1 - 20 of 26 Posts