Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago i bought tires with some meat on it and when i turn sharp right or left i hear and feel the tire rub on my suspension. I see the marks on my leaf springs and see the material on the tire rubbing off. Someone suggested 2" wheel spacers to pull the tire out and keep it from rubbing. Been looking at "hub centric" spacers...good idea or bad? Also, if so hub centric on front only or both rear and front?

Thank everyone.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Buy wheels with the correct offset. Will be cheaper and easier in the end.

-hub centric spacers are $$$
-Hub centric spacers require re-tightening to not sheer off wheel studs
-99% wheel spacers ive seen that are 1in or more warp overtime with heavy duty trucks. Just how it goes I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been running 1.5" hub-centric spacers on my Jeep for years. People in the Jeep forums say they're a bad idea as well but they haven't been an issue at all. You need to use a little blue loc-tite on the threads that secure the spacer to the hub and buy good quality ones.

If they're all bad I guess I should look for some new wheels for the front end of my completely stock Dually. Those 3-4" spacers that are on there from the factory must be ticking time bombs.

To be fair, I've never used them on my SD and probably won't either.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I've been running 1.5" hub-centric spacers on my Jeep for years. People in the Jeep forums say they're a bad idea as well but they haven't been an issue at all. You need to use a little blue loc-tite on the threads that secure the spacer to the hub and buy good quality ones.

If they're all bad I guess I should look for some new wheels for the front end of my completely stock Dually. Those 3-4" spacers that are on there from the factory must be ticking time bombs.

To be fair, I've never used them on my SD and probably won't either.

Jeeps compared to Superduties aren’t really a Apples to Apples situation. I ran 1.5-2in spacers on my 1984 4runner for a couple of years and they started to have issues. Nice quality brand that cost almost as much as all 4 steel wheels from a specialized off-road Toyota vendor.

Used lock-tite, checked torq, I’m not really a hard core off-roader anymore either but the first gen 4runner has spent most of its 300k+ miles off paved roads. So it’s proven to me anytime I change anything if there’s issues what the cause was.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jeeps compared to Superduties aren’t really a Apples to Apples situation. I ran 1.5-2in spacers on my 1984 4runner for a couple of years and they started to have issues. Nice quality brand that cost almost as much as all 4 steel wheels from a specialized off-road Toyota vendor.

Used lock-tite, checked torq, I’m not really a hard core off-roader anymore either but the first gen 4runner has spent most of its 300k+ miles off paved roads. So it’s proven to me anytime I change anything if there’s issues what the cause was.
I wasn't really comparing the two. I was just saying that it's a controversy over in that crowd too. I've had mine on the Jeep for probably 8 years now. I'm willing to bet that 8-lug HD spacers are better-built than even the ones on my Heep but who knows.. I could be wrong.

I've got spacers stock from the factory on my Dually. Using the logic that spacers are bad maybe I should start looking for new wheels. Anyone know offhand what offset I'd need? Someone should alert Ford as as well as they've been putting them on every Dually sold for years.

Yes, some did this is tounge and cheek.. just trying to make a point. No offense intended.

I agree that spacers could potentially be dangerous if not properly cared for and inspected regularly.

·
Administrator
29,098 Posts
jeep = what under 4ooo total
front end of my superduty 5000

I get that the Duallys have an OEM spacer but it is actually engineered by Dana not a chunk of aluminum not to mention what you do with 2" studs that stick past the spacer or other hackery needed to fit cheap spacers
and real billet steel spacers are $$$$

now for my K5 i would run without to much concern
but not on the Super

·
Registered
76 Posts
jeep = what under 4ooo total
front end of my superduty 5000

I get that the Duallys have an OEM spacer but it is actually engineered by Dana not a chunk of aluminum not to mention what you do with 2" studs that stick past the spacer or other hackery needed to fit cheap spacers
and real billet steel spacers are $$$$

now for my K5 i would run without to much concern
but not on the Super
Have you ever actually used spacers or even seen them installed? You bolt up the spacer to the existing lugs. The new lugs from the spacer are what you mount the wheel to. Nothing sticks out past what you would have with the OEM lugs on the hub. Absolutely no hackery needed.

There are good quality spacers out there on the market. I'm sure that if Dana can do it someone else can too. Mine are steel. Not aluminum.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Used spacers on Toyota’s, jeeps, 80s chevies, and two dodge diesels. The dodge diesels ate up $500 spacers within a year. Both high end, torqed per spec, used the recommended loctite. One was a 1999 with the metic equivalent of a 32x11.5, the other a 2000s (can’t remember specifically) had 35s.

newer front end components, properly aligned, new bushings, control arms the works.
I helped a buddy install some hub centric ones on a 2009 6.4L maybe 8 yrs ago. Same thing. He spent almost $700 for them.

You like them on your jeep and the dually(difference I know).

but the vast majority are going to continue to not recommend spacers vs just getting the properly offset wheels.

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts
We're running 1.5" spacers on the front of our mud race truck. We need then for header and frame clearance. Granted, the truck probably only weighs 3k or so, but it gets hammered constantly.

I'm not advocating using spacers. Just sharing my experience.

I'd probably buy correct offset wheels rather than run spacers on my SD, but IMO, either one puts more stress on the bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Simple fix, just dont turn full lock left or right. Been dealing with tire rub on my trucks for years and you get used to it. Now that i have these 40's on my 03 i need to be alittle more careful. They will straight stop the truck at slower speeds.

Now the whole spacer thing gets blown way out of proportion. Where people see the failures comes from not using a quality part designed for the application. Buy some cheap fleabay junk get fleabay results. Otherwise spend the $800 plus and get something that will do what was intended. Ya get what ya pay for. I would bet the majority of spacer failures have came from improper install before part design failure. Just ask @john galt about that, lol. Now i don't know about you guys, but I have routinely spent well over $400 per wheel. So that being said, if i already had wheels i liked, then upgraded tires and found a downfall from said tires, I can see looking at spacers before different wheels or tires. Way cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
i'll share:
been running spacers sine 2012 or 2013 ONLY issue i had was a semi trained monkey at a discount tire in Reno who even after i told him not to use the impact and to use the torque wrench to make sure everything was torqued right he still blasted the last tire after i quit watching him and spun - broke all 8 studs on that wheel...not the ones on the spacers but the actual wheel so i am in Reno is Christmas traffic and sure as hell i go to make a right turn on to South Virginia and the front left tire and wheel falls off and bounces across 7 lanes of holiday traffic over a curb and into the wall right next to the glass doors at the olive garden and comes to rest in the walkway next to the doors!
i am still replacing parts from that fiasco two years later. currently changing out the front axle u joints one of which broke!!! new hubs new bearing assemblies and new calipers rotors and pads! not all the kids fault i am sure but not my best day ever! especially as i had to get a rent a car to get home Christmas shopping got cut short and even after the rep here did what he could to make it right i am still paying out big bucks to get everything fixed up to my standards again!
the good news is after this i should have pretty much new everything so...

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
oh and NONE of the above listed problems stem from the spacers but rather the minimum wage employee working around them. spacers are still fine

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
I have had 2" aluminum hub centric spacers for 3 years. No problems at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts