Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a HD truck, you would think the tranny dip-stick/fill tube would be a bit more rugged. Is it normal for this thing to wiggle around. Is it in two sections? I think it is leaking tranny fluid like crazy now (at least I hope that is my problem).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE - no it is not normal. Diagnosis is a broken bolt at the base of the tube onto the valve cover. A "special bolt" (of course). 2-3 hours labor - the estimated pain measurement = $250-$300

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
UPDATE - no it is not normal. Diagnosis is a broken bolt at the base of the tube onto the valve cover. A "special bolt" (of course). 2-3 hours labor - the estimated pain measurement = $250-$300
OUCH!:crazy: At least you found it though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True I found it BUT the ford dealer/service department claims this is not covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile engine warranty. They claim it is a drive train part> I think I am getting smoke blown at me. Anybody have any suggestions HELP!

·
Registered
514 Posts
my dipstick moves around like crap as well.... it doesn't leak though, maybe ill crawl under there and check that bolt.............
oooops im in the 6.0 forum, oh well it still moves around hehe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
new update and it is NOT GOOD! evidently one of my trips down the mud/ice covered road in Maine did in my tranny. Something impacted the tranny casing hard and punched a hole in it. The pain just went up another $3900.00....anybody know a sure bet way to hit the lottery?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Oh, wow! Sorry to hear about that. And if I knew how to win the lottery, I'm not sure that I would be sharing that info... :hehe: Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
"" hard and punched a hole in it.''

That may be from an exploding planet inside the trans. I think Ford was warranting that problem. Ck it out!!!

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
If something on the road hit it, call your ins. co.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"" hard and punched a hole in it.''

That may be from an exploding planet inside the trans. I think Ford was warranting that problem. Ck it out!!!
If this happened wouldn't I have lost a forward gear or reverse or heard an awful grinding noise? I was driving it in this condition for a few days with no obvious problems except putting quart after quart of tranny fluid into it to keep the level up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if I submit an insurance calim I will pay more over the next 6 years. I get a 25% discount because of my good doobie driving record. With one claim (over $2000.00 is considered a major accident) I throw that away along with a little extra love from the insurance company that they like to call surcharge for 6 years running.

Okay, water under the bridge, The wrench tells me the two may not even be related (smacked dip-stick tube and tranny casing crack). His opinion is a hard shift into reverse might cause the same crack but he has never seen the crack before in the exact same specific spot as what mine had but close enough to tell me.

So, I guess I have to baby this "super duty" when changing into reverse.

Good news is I start fresh with a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty.

Spread the news friends!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts