Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
Odd. Makes me wonder if the PO tapped into the heater return hose for something and then put that blue hose there when it was removed. Without sine additional pics is pretty hard to tell for sure, but it dies soar the the heater feed circuit is in place.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read through PGreenPVT's post on Things to consider owning a 6.0
Pretty interesting read. After I bought it, I took it to a local mechanic to get repair estimate for lower sales tax at DOL. The check engine light code was "Turbo underboost, Exhaust back pressure caused by turbo and sensor related issues", in his words.
A couple of questions:
1. Will running the engine harder.... faster accelerations, maybe using 3rd gear at higher rpm rather than in Drive clean any soot out of the turbo. At 2000 Rpm on flat road, steady speed, I'm getting about 7# boost.
I accellerated hard a couple of times today and didn't notice any black smoke.
2. Will running a diesel conditioner remove soot from turbo? Which one is the best to use.
3. What gas mileage can I expect on flat highway with it unloaded, not pulling anything.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
I read through PGreenPVT's post on Things to consider owning a 6.0
Pretty interesting read. After I bought it, I took it to a local mechanic to get repair estimate for lower sales tax at DOL. The check engine light code was "Turbo underboost, Exhaust back pressure caused by turbo and sensor related issues", in his words.
A couple of questions:
1. Will running the engine harder.... faster accelerations, maybe using 3rd gear at higher rpm rather than in Drive clean any soot out of the turbo. At 2000 Rpm on flat road, steady speed, I'm getting about 7# boost.
I accellerated hard a couple of times today and didn't notice any black smoke.
2. Will running a diesel conditioner remove soot from turbo? Which one is the best to use.
3. What gas mileage can I expect on flat highway with it unloaded, not pulling anything.
1- not really. The unison ring and vanes could be rusted up causing the over boost. The fix is either new turbo, rebuild turbo, or disassembled and clean unison ring and vanes.

2- no, conditioner will not clean up the turbo. No fuel enters the turbo, only air and oil to cool the journal bearing and shaft.

3- mileage will vary. Regular cab, crew cab, SRW OR DRW, tire psi, gear ratio, tire size, etc,etc.

My truck is in sig, I can get 17mpg on hy-way if I keep my foot out of the go pedal.

For your EBP code, it's common for the EBP sensor tube to get clogged with soot. Remove sensor and clean carefully, then clean out the tube to remove blockage. Clear code and see if that helps.

·
Administrator
21,625 Posts
Thats a tight turn for that hose, I would consider replacing it with a plastic connector. .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts