Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity, what would be the next step up from an H2E without going off the deepend? I want to see what would be a good turbo a shade up from a modified H2E that doesn't demand serious amounts of fuel. Basically, I'm trying to say something that still keeps a truck streetable, but still hauls arse & would support Stage III's, an AirDog 150gph, ITP regulated return, CFM+ intake, upgraded fuel pump, Stealth single HPOP, forged rods/pistons, ported heads, 4" exhaust(for now), TW 6pos, Banks TechniCooler, S&B CAI, John Wood VB, BTS TC, & Transgo SK on the way. I know the modified H2E is an excellent turbo, but from what I've heard from a very reliable source there's a slight possibility it might not be able to make the delivery in certain situations. I guess I'm a bit on the OCD side, but I want everything as close to 100% as possible.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I like the GT-42... but I don't think it is much of an upgrade from where you are at... still completely streetable with hybrids... my buddies lites just about as quick as a 38R... very fun truck!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the GT-42... but I don't think it is much of an upgrade from where you are at... still completely streetable with hybrids... my buddies lites just about as quick as a 38R... very fun truck!
Would you say the GT-42 is equal to the H2E? Speaking of a 38R, I had to return mine when I found through extensive research it wouldn't do the job with the mods that the H2E is capable of supporting. Man, am I stuck between a rock & a hard place or what!?:crazy:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I don't know if it would be equal... GT-42 good up to 600 and I am not sure on the modded H2E... but it has to be close.

What are you planning on for power??? the turbo you have should get you there... Are you worried about drive pressure issues?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what would be the next step up from an H2E without going off the deepend? I want to see what would be a good turbo a shade up from a modified H2E that doesn't demand serious amounts of fuel. Basically, I'm trying to say something that still keeps a truck streetable, but still hauls arse & would support Stage III's, an AirDog 150gph, ITP regulated return, CFM+ intake, upgraded fuel pump, Stealth single HPOP, forged rods/pistons, ported heads, 4" exhaust(for now), TW 6pos, Banks TechniCooler, S&B CAI, [highlight]John Wood VB, BTS TC, & Transgo SK on the way.[/highlight] I know the modified H2E is an excellent turbo, but from what I've heard from a very reliable source there's a slight possibility it might not be able to make the delivery in certain situations. I guess I'm a bit on the OCD side, but I want everything as close to 100% as possible.
Hey Cory, I know this is off the subject, but I thought the aftermarket valve bodies and the shift kits were comperable mods. I didn't think you did them together. I thought it was one or the other?

On the subject, I am no turbo expert, but where wouldn't the modded H2E keep up with that list of mods?

·
Registered
392 Posts
modded h2e is capable of 550hp with the right mods. of all the larger turbos ive ran the modded h2e has the best street manners, anything larger than that and its laggy, surges, etc. if you want the best of both worlds- good street manners and big air flow, you need twin turbos.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Would you say the GT-42 is equal to the H2E? Speaking of a 38R, I had to return mine when I found through extensive research it wouldn't do the job with the mods that the H2E is capable of supporting. Man, am I stuck between a rock & a hard place or what!?:crazy:
The 42 flows more air than the H2E. If you don't get the fuel right it's laggy.

Once dialed in..it can't be beat. It's a great turbo

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if it would be equal... GT-42 good up to 600 and I am not sure on the modded H2E... but it has to be close.

What are you planning on for power??? the turbo you have should get you there... Are you worried about drive pressure issues?
I'm shooting for ballpark 600+hp. I am, in fact, worried about drive pressures.
Hey Cory, I know this is off the subject, but I thought the aftermarket valve bodies and the shift kits were comperable mods. I didn't think you did them together. I thought it was one or the other?

On the subject, I am no turbo expert, but where wouldn't the modded H2E keep up with that list of mods?
No, I got carried away with the trans. mods. I don't have the John Wood. That's going in a buddies truck either Thu. or sometime this weekend. I just type faster than I think & I didn't even realize I put that up until you said something:doh:. As far as the turbo issue, I'm hoping my fuel delivery isn't too much for the H2E. I'm gonna be pumping fuel like crazy in Street.
modded h2e is capable of 550hp with the right mods. of all the larger turbos ive ran the modded h2e has the best street manners, anything larger than that and its laggy, surges, etc. if you want the best of both worlds- good street manners and big air flow, you need twin turbos.
This is comforting for the H2E, but I wanna make 100% sure. Can the H2E stretch to something slightly north of 600hp?
The 42 flows more air than the H2E. If you don't get the fuel right it's laggy.

Once dialed in..it can't be beat. It's a great turbo
I'm going to have to look more into the 42. I do appreciate your input, Thuglike! Do you have any literature you could PM or email me with?

·
Registered
310 Posts
im running stage 3's with about what u said for ur upgrades and i have a 38r with just the 1.00 housing and its just a tad small for this. a 1.15 housing would be better but a modded h2e, gt 42 or a k31 will be about perfect for it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm shooting for ballpark 600+hp. I am, in fact, worried about drive pressures.

No, I got carried away with the trans. mods. I don't have the John Wood. That's going in a buddies truck either Thu. or sometime this weekend. I just type faster than I think & I didn't even realize I put that up until you said something:doh:. As far as the turbo issue, I'm hoping my fuel delivery isn't too much for the H2E. I'm gonna be pumping fuel like crazy in Street.

This is comforting for the H2E, but I wanna make 100% sure. Can the H2E stretch to something slightly north of 600hp?

I'm going to have to look more into the 42. I do appreciate your input, Thuglike! Do you have any literature you could PM or email me with?
ehh i doubt that the h2e will support 600 unless you spray a little nitrous or some water/ meth. you'd be better off with a 42r or a s300 in the 71-76mm range.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
392 Posts
Does holset make a turbo that's a step up from a h2e?
there's a couple places that can modify a regular h2e with a larger compressor wheel and yes they make larger turbos than the h2e.

check out there turbo it has a quick spool and has more air flow
than the h2e so they say. wide open performance
IIRC the quickspool has a smaller inducer than an off the shelf h2e so if thats the case then more than likely it wont flow more than the h2. however its an s300 so im fairly certain that in the end it can be modded to be larger than even a mod h2e.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry for jumpin in, but will the Gt 42 bolt right up to replace stocker? Are bigger sticks and oil needed? I found a site that says the 42 supports up to 1000hp? That's way more than I'll ever make so I guess the 38r would be better for me?
If I just get a housing for now, should I leave the stock wheel?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sorry for jumpin in, but will the Gt 42 bolt right up to replace stocker? Are bigger sticks and oil needed? I found a site that says the 42 supports up to 1000hp? That's way more than I'll ever make so I guess the 38r would be better for me?
If I just get a housing for now, should I leave the stock wheel?
no it wont bolt up. yes probably need bigger injectors, it wont support 1000hp in a diesel app. yes 38r is a better choice for you.

·
Registered
523 Posts
QSSB will flow slightly more than a stock H2E. It's best suited for the 400-425hp range. WOP does offer a modded version of the QSSB that should work well for the 500hp range, I'll be installing one on my truck here shortly.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
QSSB will flow slightly more than a stock H2E. It's best suited for the 400-425hp range. WOP does offer a modded version of the QSSB that should work well for the 500hp range, I'll be installing one on my truck here shortly.

:ditto:

Jody has had a WOP QSSB on his 2002 F250 for 4 years now. :thumb:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does the WOP QSSB bolt right up? Does that need the sticks n oil?

Ps..................I love my Dp tuner. Got the DP sticker n web site on my back window!!

Now if I can get the dang surge cured I'll be happy

1 - 20 of 46 Posts