Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I would like to know what these trannies can typically take without too much worry? I'm considering making the leap from a 7.3 to a 6.4 in the next year or two but gotta see if its worth it for me. I would love to find one with a six speed but the likely hood of that is slim to none.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
The automatic can hold 550-575 horsepower for a LONG time with proper transmission tuning. The standard behind the 6.4L isn't nearly as strong. The clutch can hold up to about 475-500 horsepower, and not nearly as long as the auto can hold 550-575. There is obviously no TCM with a standard, so there is no way to tune the tranny.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The automatic can hold 550-575 horsepower for a LONG time with proper transmission tuning. The standard behind the 6.4L isn't nearly as strong. The clutch can hold up to about 475-500 horsepower, and not nearly as long as the auto can hold 550-575. There is obviously no TCM with a standard, so there is no way to tune the tranny.
Thanks! That's pretty impressive, spartan tuning is said "proper" tuning correct? Along with a few others.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Thanks! That's pretty impressive, spartan tuning is said "proper" tuning correct? Along with a few others.
Correct. Several companies have pretty much perfected transmission tuning on these trucks. :thumb:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct. Several companies have pretty much perfected transmission tuning on these trucks. :thumb:
Cool! Thanks again! Whats required to reach the 550-575hp range besides tuning?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cool! Thanks again! Whats required to reach the 550-575hp range besides tuning?
Its all tuning. Shift points, line pressure, torque management...etc. Since spartan, H&S, SCT, etc. have no way of hardware mods, they can only play with the software.

The big unknown factor is YOUR RIGHT FOOT :woot:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought he meant what does it take to get the motor to 550-575hp. if so...

exhaust, intake and tuner. it's simple, and turns the 6.4 into a monster! this truck blows my old 7.3 out of the water and it had race injectors, exhaust, intake and tuner.:thumb:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought he meant what does it take to get the motor to 550-575hp. if so...

exhaust, intake and tuner. it's simple, and turns the 6.4 into a monster! this truck blows my old 7.3 out of the water and it had race injectors, exhaust, intake and tuner.:thumb:
I did and thanks, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
A truck with just our 310 tune, intake, and exhaust put down 586 at Rudy's Diesel Performance's Open House back in March on David Dunbar's dyno. :thumb:

EDIT - He may have had a Spearco intercooler as well, but that is it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A truck with just our 310 tune, intake, and exhaust put down 586 at Rudy's Diesel Performance's Open House back in March on David Dunbar's dyno. :thumb:

EDIT - He may have had a Spearco intercooler as well, but that is it.
Thats sick, at what point do you need studs? and how much boost are they making at that power?

·
Registered
407 Posts
i dont think you really need studs until you hit 600 horse.... and as far as boost i can't speak for a tuned truck but my stock 2010 has just about buried the needle when i was hauling a trailer with a decent amount of weight on it. im guessing when all juiced up its probably not unrealistic to see 45 psi

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Studs are good idea once you get in that 550-600 horsepower range in my opinion. Just for precautionary measures mainly. A lot of trucks hold with stock bolts in the range for a long time, but it's kind of a gray area.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think the most I have seen on my H&S tuner, S&B CAI, and DPF/Cat Delete kit stock muffler and stock rear exhaust is between 42 and 48 PSI if I remember right.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies guys, gray areas is not a friend of mine so I would probably stud for piece of mind. After doing some reading im nervous considering one. The inherent radiator, thermostat and high risk with dog and she delete consequences are scary

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 08 had the radiator update before I got the truck by the previous owner. Ive put 20,000 miles on my truck, 15000 with the tuner on the spartan 275 tune and have had no problems. And many others that have put MUCH more on theirs with no problems. These are forums, people get on here to talk about problems they have and to find info on how to fix and diagnose things, youre ALWAYS going to see the majority of threads talking about problems... in any forum. These trucks are awesome. Youll never look back once you get in one

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My 08 had the radiator update before I got the truck by the previous owner. Ive put 20,000 miles on my truck, 15000 with the tuner on the spartan 275 tune and have had no problems. And many others that have put MUCH more on theirs with no problems. These are forums, people get on here to talk about problems they have and to find info on how to fix and diagnose things, youre ALWAYS going to see the majority of threads talking about problems... in any forum. These trucks are awesome. Youll never look back once you get in one
:nod: :thumb:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:nod: :thumb:
I hope so, and at first it really turned me off and but now that I look at it i feel as if it would be worth while and its a hard truck to turn down lol!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know anyone that has gotten caught without the dpf and fined heavily?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Does anyone know anyone that has gotten caught without the dpf and fined heavily?
Only one known person, some time ago, and nobody actually knows them. There is another thread about this going on right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts