Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on some info that i getting from some people I know? What they are telling me is not to get an intake for my truck because it could lead to dust getting in to my motor and making big issues. They say that it is because the filter is letting in so much free air that there is no way that it is stopping all the dirt from getting in. The filter system that Im swaying towards is the AFE Stage II because it looks like it makes the best power. Well thanks in advance for your info!!!!!!:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
just stay away from the k&n and you shold be ok. not sure who is telling you that, but it seems they may not know much about diesel performance. just my opinion.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Get the afe, you won't be disappointed. I just changed the compressor wheel on my turbo, if you like I could try to post pictures of what it looks like. Very good cond. IMO. It has seen 160,000 mile with an afe stage II intake, and still looks great. Someone will come along with more technical info i'm sure...

later

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
i have the afe stage 2 with pg7 intake ....i have had it on there for a while now ...took the filter off and looked down the intake tube and rubbed my finger in there ....it was just as clean as the day i put it on new ...so it just showed me that it is really doing a good job on filtering ....but you know what the s&b filters and really good i went to there factory so they could test fit a system on my truck and they gave me a tour and showed me how they test there filters and ill tell you they are pretty impressive ...just as good as the afe

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I run the AFE stage II and am very pleased with it. It looks dirty as all get out and still flows and filters good.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
also, the diy intake seems to be a proven system, and very popular due to performance and affordability.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not as spendy as the AFE, but I can tell you from experience, this keeps the inside super clean as well, and flows a lot more air than the stock setup.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Whoever told you that only half knows what they are talking about. Yes dirt in your intake and therefore turbo is BAD news. But little do they know that intakes like most DIY's, the S&B, and the AFE have far better filtration ratings than even the stock one from Ford. And less restrictive, sometimes slightly cooler air is GOOD.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
AFE stage II with pro guard 7 is the way to go....read about it, the pro guard 7 even says its EXTRA good at keeps dirt and dust out.

Dont think whoever told you that knew much about diesels. Gotta let them BREATH, exhaust is next step to keep up the flow. I dont know of anything BETTER than the AFE stage II, there are some that match tho.

Id go with the AFE i love mine!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd also consider the Ford AIS. Less than half the price of the AFE and better filtration.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have the afe stage 2 with pg7, and have loved every minute of it. worth the money to me.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Okay, since I have direct experience with this because my engine was dusted by the FACTORY air intake. Let me tell you that you defiantly don’t want dust to get by your filter. A new engine can cost $10,000 or more. It cost me $4,000 just for parts. I’m a firm believer in the DIY open air intake as the best protection. I agree with your friend’s opinion that higher flow means less restriction means more dust. However they failed to calculate surface area into the equation. If you go DIY you’ll be getting a huge gain in surface area which means more air flow without less restriction and dust. Only cost about $40 to do.

Here is mine;

·
Registered
445 Posts
I did a DIY Intake on mine. Bought the Napa filter and away I went. I love the sound of the turbo and it sounds like it runs better too. My cousin just put the AFE II on his and loves it also. Now as for me, I didn't have the funds available to do the AFE. Pics of the DIY Intake are in my gallery

·
Registered
445 Posts
add note...... I also added ther ZooDad mod to allow cooler air to get under the hood and near the filter

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
FYI,
Here is the cross over numbers for all major brands of filters I got from the Baldwin website, I prefer the Baldwin but that’s personal preference.

I use the Baldwin PA2818

PART NUMBER: PA2818
Descriptions : Air Element
Replaces : Donaldson ECB085011
O.D. : 8 1/2 (215.9)
I.D. : 4 (101.6) One End
Length : 12 3/8 (314.3)

Here is a list of cross over numbers for most major manufactures for the same filter from the Baldwin website. You can also go to the Baldwin website and put your zip in to find local dealers.

ACDELCO A1474C

AIR REFINER ARM08-5011

BALDWIN FILTERS PA2818

BIG A 94637

CATERPILLAR 3I0003

CARQUEST 88637

CUMMINS 2912986

CUMMINS 3912020

DONALDSON B085011 H

DONALDSON ECBO85011 H

DONALDSON ECB085011 H

FLEETGUARD AH1141

FLEETRITE AHR81141

FRAM CA6818

GFF AF359214

GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 25177209

HASTINGS PREMIUM FILTERS AF2329

HERCULES B085008

KRALINATOR LA1458

LUBER-FINER LAF2533

NAPA GOLD 6637

SCHUPP SL12903

WIX 46637

WIX 546637

WOODGATE WGA1138

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with the AFE Stage II with the prefilter thanks for all your help!!!

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Cograts, you won't be sorry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts