Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best cold air kit for a 2000 f 250 powerstroke?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,086 Posts
Probobly the AFE stage II with the pro guard filter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
well just for hoots here are 3 popular "bests"

afe2 proguard 7- all around best performance
ford ais- best filtering
diy tymar- best budget
S&B my personal #2 honorable mention
a shoe in for best all around- budget, performance etc..

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I would go with the S&B for superior filtering over AFE and great performance!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
AFE STG 2 with pro/g 7 filter

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
truthaboutfilters

S&B has done alot of research and held up to industry standards. No BS tests. check it out
U cant go by one companies biased test. U need a neutral tester to compare filters. So to say that S&B is superior is BOGUS. Im not saying the Afe Stage 2 is better because i dont have experience with the other filters except the Afe Stage 1. But to claim that S&B is superior because THEY tested it against others is not a true test or claim.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know what the part number to the afe stage 2 with pro gaurd? Also the part number to the s&b?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I say S&B, for what it's worth. I think the kid is RAD.

·
Registered
738 Posts
wow, thats not a biased website. Its owned by s&b, of course they're not going to say another filter outperforms theirs. Besides that, they're only comparing OE type drop in filters, not the aftermarket intake kits with the bigger filters. Also, even on their own site, the AFE pg7 has a higher efficiency rating(better filtration). If the s&b flows more cfm, its only because its letting more debris through.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I still personally believe you can’t bet the DIY filter setup for filtration and flow and price. Total cost is around $40 and takes only about half an hour to do. I don’t see how a smaller filter can flow more without letting more dust through. One of the best things I like about it is there is no cleaning or oiling, just replace it every two years or so in about 2 minutes and your done. http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/alabamafrog/zMISC Stuff/Engineright.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still personally believe you can’t bet the DIY filter setup for filtration and flow and price. Total cost is around $40 and takes only about half an hour to do. I don’t see how a smaller filter can flow more without letting more dust through. One of the best things I like about it is there is no cleaning or oiling, just replace it every two years or so in about 2 minutes and your done. http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/alabamafrog/zMISC Stuff/Engineright.jpg

Is that stock piping with a filter? where did you get the filter? Did you have to make anything for that to work? Can you hear the turbo more?

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
AFE II w/PG7: 75-10192
S&B: 75-5028

For the dollar spent, I think S&B is the winner. Due to the size of the AFE II, I believe it will outflow the S&B enclosed, smaller, unit. However, looking at the ISO 5011 testing numbers, S&B has them in the filtration department. Id dont think you can make a wrong choice with either intake.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
AFE stage II here also...

When you're shopping around just remember, you CAN'T get a filter with the best cfm flow AND the best protection. You sacrifice one for the other. If you're flowing more air, you're lettin in more dirt. If you're filtering every micron, you're chokin it for air....

And that websites about as neutral as Fox news...give me a break

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.