Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dumb question just wonderin like to do my own work on the truck tryin to learn these in powerstrokes used 2 the old 7.3 naturaly aspirated

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
if you have 2000 and newer you have (Pressed incorrect.) Powdered Metal Rods ( correct. PMR ). I do not know if this applies to the 6.0L or not though. As well as the 6.4L

·
Registered
959 Posts
Powder Metal Rods. They are formed with the sintered process of compressing a metal powder into shape.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
if you have 2000 and newer you have Pressed Metal Rods ( PMR ). I do not know if this applies to the 6.0L or not though. As well as the 6.4L

Not all 2000's have them. 10/2000 is supposedly the actually month they switched, but the PMR itself came out in August of 2000, so its hit and miss from august to october of 2000, and there were a few forged rod motors in first few months after the switch over from my understanding.

I thought PMR stood for Powdered Metal Rods?

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
^^^^^ What he said.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Thats what i thought. just makin sure i was thinkin straight:hehe:

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
I'm sorry it is Powdered metal rods. My fault I take full responsibility.

·
Registered
680 Posts
02/00 I have a non pmr motor right?

·
Registered
4,780 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i have a 5/1998 so what your sayin is that any year below 2000 should have forged rods

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
no oil will come out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks strokin!

Another question, When I look in the hole, will I need to turn the motor at all?

Its hard to tell from the pics, is this on the drivers side or the pass side?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
You might need to turn it over just to get the rods in the right place to see the studs. All I did was pull the plug then look it...if I couldn't see it good enough I just stuck the plug back in there a few turns and bumped the motor! then looked again.

As far as pulling the plug you need a 5/16" square driver. I found it at a plumbing store. It was tough to find.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.