Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for tranny recommendations for a 2001 7.3 4x4 excursion. I want something to last and a good warranty. Please give me some feed back thanks

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Brian's Truck Shop in Arkansas.

Or Twisted Diesel Performance in North Carolina.

Dunno about the warranty with Twisted, but Brian's warranty extends beyond his two year "on paper" warranty.

He's been known to fix transmissions absolutely free of charge, years after the two years is up.

Plus, at moderate power levels, his trans is damn near bulletproof.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Brian just fixed mine and i was out of the two year, great shop to work with. customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Honestly depends on your plans for the rig...

Stock HP or near stock...

A Ford HD4r100 comes with a 5 year 75k warranty...

Have one in my wifes Excursion and its holding up great for over 100k, with 20k running AC injectors.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I went with a stock Ford rebuilt unit as my dealer told me both, the stock unit and the HD unit have a 3 year unlimited warranty. Wishing now I would have went with the HD unit a mine is shuddering. Under warranty, just got to find time to do without it while they fix it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly depends on your plans for the rig...

Stock HP or near stock...

A Ford HD4r100 comes with a 5 year 75k warranty...

Have one in my wifes Excursion and its holding up great for over 100k, with 20k running AC injectors.
I got a dp tuner with the option 100hp but dont think I will use it much as the ex has 280k on it. The ex will be lifted with 20's and it will be used to pull my Eliminator under 8000lbs. So the factory one might be the way to go..

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
For us I did the research and back when i had my tranny done, the shipping one way was 300 to so cal or BTS in AK. So I made a trip of it and went down south, 10miles above the border to be exact, to John Woods automotive and did the works. Had my tranny out in what seamed like 2 mins. Did all the work at shop and let me watch. Stayed in El Centro and drove to the shop and then back home. Have never had a problem and installed the 26row tranny cooler at the same time. Have been broke down with an auto and was no fun. But like i said in the beginning make an appointment and make a trip out of it if the vehicle is still running. Plus with the warrenty 3yr/36k miles at least he is in the same state. Hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For us I did the research and back when i had my tranny done, the shipping one way was 300 to so cal or BTS in AK. So I made a trip of it and went down south, 10miles above the border to be exact, to John Woods automotive and did the works. Had my tranny out in what seamed like 2 mins. Did all the work at shop and let me watch. Stayed in El Centro and drove to the shop and then back home. Have never had a problem and installed the 26row tranny cooler at the same time. Have been broke down with an auto and was no fun. But like i said in the beginning make an appointment and make a trip out of it if the vehicle is still running. Plus with the warrenty 3yr/36k miles at least he is in the same state. Hope this helps
Thats the option I was thinking about first. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
618 Posts
Swap in a zf6 and a good clutch and never worry again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Im looking for tranny recommendations for a 2001 7.3 4x4 excursion. I want something to last and a good warranty. Please give me some feed back thanks
If you're on the west coast of Florida call up Tim Moye Transmissions. He's in Lutz, Florida (near Tampa). He did my truck's trans rebuild with forged gears, and upgraded 3-D torque converter. $2400. Not a bad price AT ALL. The warranty is only 12 months and 12,000 miles though. So I'm back on my own, right now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you're in California, I'd strongly suggest getting with John Wood. Awesome transmissions and his Towmaster should be perfect for your needs. Plus, Jody runs JW trans in his personal vehicles, so adjusted tuning for it should be spot on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you're in California, I'd strongly suggest getting with John Wood. Awesome transmissions and his Towmaster should be perfect for your needs. Plus, Jody runs JW trans in his personal vehicles, so adjusted tuning for it should be spot on.
Thanks for the heads up:thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts