Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm having trouble with my PSD super cab.

I got a new CPS for a 97, and it's black, unlike the grey one I removed. But it pluged right in.

Still have my rough idle issues, and engine dieing at odd times during low idle driving.

Went and got a TPS for my 97, and it's the wrong color, wrong shape, and wrong plug type:doh::doh:

So I checked my title, yep it says 97, check my vin tag, it says MFR 12/96. So I do some researching on line and the only TPS that matches the one on my truck is labeled for a 98??

OK so whats going on here?

Is my truck a 98? is this also why the CPS didn't color match?

any thoughts?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
There were no 98 models. Yours is a 97. The CPS color has changed a few times, no worries there (and TONS of threads about gray, black, blue, purple etc).
The TPS won't affect idle or cause the engine to die. Seeing that you are running WVO I have to wonder if you have plugged filters or junk in the system someplace from the WVO causing the rough idle and dieing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the WVO does give cause for concern. But I run a "religious" filter changing regime.

My problem is very spastic and some days the truck is great, and some days during low speed driving I'll get REALLY hard shake your teeth trans shifts (I have an E40d) combined with loss of throttle peddle response.

I'll go to accelerate off of a stop and my go peddle just drops to the floor with nothing, then I release and press again. The truck rolls off the line and then WHAM there goes the tranny shifts. Some times when pulling off from a stop my rpms will climb right in line with my peddle pressure, but my tranny will just stay in 1st till I release throttle, and then reapply.

Once I get on the open road the truck hauls like a champ

So.... I'm trying not to "throw" parts at it, but I'm a little unsure whats really going on.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the TPS/IVS to see if that helps? Lack of pedal response and trans issues sound like separate problems to me, but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried cleaning the TPS/IVS to see if that helps? Lack of pedal response and trans issues sound like separate problems to me, but I'm no expert.
What/where is the TPS/IVS?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had assumed the issues were linked cause they both showed up at the same time.

I was thinking that throttle position had some thing to do with shift points.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
TPS = throttle position sensor. Its the upper one on the throttle pedal assembly
IVS = idle validation switch, its the other sensor on the throttle pedal. If you have a volt meter there is a way to test the TPS output... a search might turn that info up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok I've got my multi meter in hand, and my 5yr old is out pulling the part off my truck:D he's an awesome helper

I'm looking up the testing procedures now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok I'm having trouble with my PSD super cab.

I got a new CPS for a 97, and it's black, unlike the grey one I removed. But it pluged right in.

Still have my rough idle issues, and engine dieing at odd times during low idle driving.

Went and got a TPS for my 97, and it's the wrong color, wrong shape, and wrong plug type:doh::doh:

So I checked my title, yep it says 97, check my vin tag, it says MFR 12/96. So I do some researching on line and the only TPS that matches the one on my truck is labeled for a 98??

OK so whats going on here?

Is my truck a 98? is this also why the CPS didn't color match?

any thoughts?:dunno:
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same issues and code for TPS coming up. The problem is that when i bought a new tps....it's different than what in my truck. It's the same plug as the Cali Emission Gas trucks, but when i tried that tps....i had no reponse at all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts