Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i know the years are way far off , but will an 84 tranny bolt on to a 97?? Im nickle and diming this thing back together and found a newly rebuilt trans for a 84.. :dunno:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:dunno: sorry .. i kinda need to keep this alive .. thnx :icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
did they even make E4ODs back then. Even if they are, i doubt they where built with the correct parts inside to handle the torque of the Powerstrokes

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't think so. If I remember right, the trans for an '84 would be a C6.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Nope that 84 c6 WILL NOT bolt to a 97

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx ... i didnt think it would ... but atleast i got that one out of my systems.. thnx again...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ... how about a 97 f450 ???? Is that the same trans.... ? sorry fellas im finding some good used trans, and as i go im needing the mating info... thnx for the help.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Ok ... how about a 97 f450 ???? Is that the same trans.... ? sorry fellas im finding some good used trans, and as i go im needing the mating info... thnx for the help.
If it was backing a 7.3 it should bolt right up.:thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool.... thnx fellas... i found one off a F450 with a few miles on it... just need to get thru the summer... :icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just FYI the old 6.9/7.3 and the newer 7.3 Powerstrokes all have the same bell housing bolt pattern, flex plate to TC bolt pattern and will all bolt up to each other just fine. The C6 was put behind some of the 2WD Powerstrokes till mid 95 and a correctly built C6 is tougher than an E4od and were standard fair in many a Ford school bus behind IH and Cat motors.

All that said I would not put a C6 in place of an E4od.
Due to the lack of the overdrive the gearing will be all wrong, causing poor mileage and motor life.
Due to the shorter housing the aft components won’t bolt up to the C6.
Who knows what computer issues this would bring up since C6 has no computer.
And there’s a host of other things that make this swap not a great plan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts