Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 04' 6.0L with 102,000 on it, its a super cab short box with an automatic.

I really want a crew cab long box with a manual.

Thinking of selling my 04' and buying a crew cab long box manual with the 7.3. What year is the best one to look for and what should I be looking at for problems. My plan is what ever money I make buy selling a new and buying the old I will put into power.

Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
I dont think it really matters most 7.3s run like tops:thumb:

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats good to hear, one problem though. Finding that matching combo is nearly impossible. If anyone knows who is selling this type of rig let me know, I am willing to drive a fair distance also.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 2000 F350 Lariat 4x4 6speed. Excellent condition, has exhaust brake, airbags, php chip, banks exhaust, intake, new batteries. Let me know what you think .

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I believe that the best year of 7.3 is late 99 (99.5) to like late 01 (01.5) BECAUSE the early 99's had a smaller turbo, littler injectors, and a 15* HPOP. mid 99 and later you get a bigger turbo, AD (most likely) injectors, and the 17* HPOP. Along with forged rods... (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) in 01.5 sometime mid-year ford went to [bendable] PMR's (Powdered Metal Rods).

So there ya go.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
What are your plans for power for the truck?? Horsepower wise??

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
early 99 fo sho! mines got a little over 240k on her and shes still goin like new. no major probs

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically power wise, I would definitely want the standard intake, exhaust, gauges and chip.

After that depends on money funds (looking to buy a house too), possibly get into the fuel side of things and maybe turbo side. I definitely want to make this truck dependable with great towing characteristics. This would be my daily driver also.

My 04' right now has intake, exhaust, and gauges but don't want to chip it because of the EGR and weak head studs, not to mention my auto tranny is already acting up at only 102,000!

I do a lot of towing every weekend, winter time especially.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Well then... the newer the better. That is what I would do... an 02 or an 03. Lowest miles possible.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found an 02' in my area with less miles on it then my 04'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts