Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a 08 Gmc Duramax and I am getting tired of all the restrictions the new diesels have so I am thinking of trading her in.I may consider a Ford but wanted to know what year is better.I respect the 6.4 and 7.3 but I am leaning towards a 6.0I heard the '05-'07 had problems with the engines.Something to do with Navistar.What do you recomend???:dunno:

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, Im a big fan of the 6.0, Only one Ive ever owned 153,xxx on the clock and no issues yet besides changing the alt..

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Like FarmerJohn, I am a bit biased, and love the 6.0. Its the first diesel I've ever owned. My neighbor has an 07 and he hauls heavy trilers for work loaded with cars, and hauls horses for work. He has had a couple 7.3's, but LOVES the 6.0. He has over 150k on it, and has lost one HG, had to have the HPOP rings replaced, EGR replaced, and a IDP sensor (I think that's the one, its under the turbo). I base part of my love for the 6.0 on his truck, and I just really love my truck (I only have 29k on mine).

He drives his truck hard, with heavy loads, so I wasn't surprised when he popped the HG. I was surprised how long it lasted though (120k). 6.0 got a bad rap, but like Hank said, 6.0 owners love em. I'd go with a 06 or 07 though, if you want the 6.0. Less problems with those years :nod:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would go w/ 7.3 or 6.0. If u go w/ the 6.4 u run into the emission stuff again.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Im gonna hear about it but DPF delete the dirtymax, problem solved :thumb:
:nutkick: :nunu:

J/K :hehe:, the d-max does run really good, even with the DPF

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I had an 04 duramax and I think my 05 6.0 has more power. Both were bone stock. I tow ALOT and often. 10k at least once a week.
But I'm betting the 08 duramax has more power stock than an 05 or 06 6.0, simply because every year they tweek the power a little to compete with each other.
I had injector problems with my 6.0 when I first got it, but since then it has been a running, pulling beast!
But, I do not think you will ever get enough power difference to justify trading trucks.... The 6.0 is a real powerhouse when tuned, but so is your duramax. SORRY guys.......
BUT if your heart is set on trading, I would go 6.0!

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 96 7.3 has almost 500,000on it and replaced a water pump. computer ( because the water pump flooded it)the normal hoses belts and vac pump ,it works hard every day. and get the recamended maintance,,I wouldn't trus a new truck to live up to this

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 7.3 has close to 400,000 on it now and I pull with it at least 2-3 times a week, anywhere between 7k and 20k, pulls it like a champ. the only thing i've had to do to it is water pump and tranny. Haven't seen many 6.0's with that kinda mileage. No disrespect to the 6.0 guys. I've always been under the impression buying a 6.0 is like playing russian rulet, never know what ur getting into. They are quick when there running right though, sound better than 7.3's too.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
My 7.3 has close to 400,000 on it now and I pull with it at least 2-3 times a week, anywhere between 7k and 20k, pulls it like a champ. the only thing i've had to do to it is water pump and tranny. Haven't seen many 6.0's with that kinda mileage. No disrespect to the 6.0 guys. I've always been under the impression buying a 6.0 is like playing russian rulet, never know what ur getting into. They are quick when there running right though, sound better than 7.3's too.
Posted by BFloyd4445
But i saw an 03 6.0 which the owner runs 24/7 when he can hauling claiming 900,000 miles and no major engine repairs just three trannies. He also swore by lucas fuel additive.
i have a 6.0 and love it.
The 6.0 can go the long haul too, I have seen a 400k 6.0 in DP, but I don't know what or if he had any work done to it :dunno:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That would be about the way I see it. I also don't like auto trannies for pulling. Just riding around they are fine or if you have spent boo coos of money on them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I second that, I've thought many times about converting mine to a manual, but i like the convience of the auto when not pulling. Guess i just need to buy another truck to pull with!! I wish i could afford to do that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Owned the 2004 6.0. 79000 miles and the EGR cooler crapped out (3100.00 repair). Recall after recall and the truck still ran like hell, surged, smoked, bucked and spat like a thirsty camel. This is also not addressing the wiring harness issues in 2005 and the fuel sensor, and the.......... nevermind. When i learned what the value resale was on the 2004 I got rid of it and have purchased the 2010 6.4 and love it so far.
STAY AWAY FROM THE 2004 6.0... It is cursed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts