Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
my buddy has a 6.0 i wish my turbo and blowoff was as loud as his but you can beat the 7.3 alot of international school buses have the same motor t 444e

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have had them all, 6.9,IDI 7.3, IDI 7.3 turbo, 3 7.3 DI's, 2 6.0's, and now a 6.4, and as far as reliability the 7.3's were the best by FAR!!!!!! My 6.0's had far less low-end power and wayyyyy worse pulling milage while they did get fair empty milage. My '04 6.0 was in the shop non-stop, '05 was better, and this new 6.4 has been in shop way too much also. If I could go back I would have never bought any 6.0's or this 6.4, as soon as I can I am getting rid of this 6.4 and getting back to a good old 7.3 that I know I can count on! Just my experience. My two old IDI 7.3's still run awesome and one has just under 300,000 and the other has 301,000 and I never have to do anything major to either one besides things like alternators, and starters, I love them!!! You can bet before I buy Fords new diesel they have coming out I will wait a few years for sure and see how it runs!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
I have had them all, 6.9,IDI 7.3, IDI 7.3 turbo, 3 7.3 DI's, 2 6.0's, and now a 6.4, and as far as reliability the 7.3's were the best by FAR!!!!!! My 6.0's had far less low-end power and wayyyyy worse pulling milage while they did get fair empty milage. My '04 6.0 was in the shop non-stop, '05 was better, and this new 6.4 has been in shop way too much also. If I could go back I would have never bought any 6.0's or this 6.4, as soon as I can I am getting rid of this 6.4 and getting back to a good old 7.3 that I know I can count on! Just my experience. My two old IDI 7.3's still run awesome and one has just under 300,000 and the other has 301,000 and I never have to do anything major to either one besides things like alternators, and starters, I love them!!! You can bet before I buy Fords new diesel they have coming out I will wait a few years for sure and see how it runs!
That's what I'm talking about! 7.3!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's what I'm talking about! 7.3!
With my experience with the 7.3's and the 6.0's and now a 6.4 there really is no comparison, the 7.3 is just a better all around engine hands down. Here are some numbers that are pretty interesting. My family has logged 1,926,000 miles on 6.9's and 7.3's since 1987 and the 6.0's and the 6.4 have been in the shop more than all them combined and their miles only add up to 196,000 miles total. One of my old 6.9's is still running with over 500,000 miles in the next town three owners later. These numbers are firm proof to me which engine can take the heat of hard pulling. We own a ranch in the mountains of New Mexico and it is rough! Our trucks pull hard every day, stock trailers, and big 40' flatbeds. We are currently running four 7.3's, one 6.0, and one 6.4, we are a Ford family!!! Don't get me wrong we like our 6.0 and 6.4 but they are no 7.3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
6.0-7.3

I work at a Diesel shop in NW Oregon, and poeple up here thrash there trucks. I have seen a lot more 6.0s come in for work than I've seen 7.3s. :icon_ford:&.#:thumb: I have to go with 7.3.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
i personally own a 7.3 but my buddy owns a 6.0 that has a less of a hp chip in it and he can WALK allover my 7.3 with smoke comin in my damn vents. theyre a good engine just dont have the reliability as the 7.3's. hes went thru 3 turbos and 4 trans. and a rear end here and there :hehe:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a 7.3 and my Dad has a 6.0 so I get to drive both occasionally.

The power from the 6.0 is incredible with just the basic mods and can easily walk away from my 7.3. So far reliability wise, the 6.0 has been just great. Going about 30k with no problems (we have an '06) and has never been in the shop 'cept maintenance.

The 7.3 though, imo, is more of a raw diesel engine...Atleast that's what comes to mind when I compare the two. It's a great engine but you won't get the same power from it with the same amount of money you spend on a 6.0. As for reliability I believe it's one of the best engines out there. I have mine going 125k and never been in the shop!

When my Dad first got the 6.0 he hated it cause it wasn't "rough" like the 7.3 lol. He grew to ignore it I guess after he got his mods in. In the end though, it all comes down to your goal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would give a nickel for dozen 6.0's. Biggest mistake ford ever made.
Best part of the 6.0 was when they quit building it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7.3 all the way.
No, no, no, The Biggest mistake Ford ever made so far is the 6.4:doh: Wouldn't tuch it with a 15ft. pole!
P.s. '96-'97, 7.3. THE BEST!!!:icon_ford::thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
honestly it really depends on what your doin i love my 7.3 ande havent had any major problems with it all ive had to do to it water water pump and thats it. it has 110000 on it and still running great. You can make the 6.0 a really fast truck for alot cheaper but if you do decide to get a 7.3 get the early 00' cuz it doesnt have the prm rods in it atleast mine doesnt. I really like both trucks but i love my 7.3. i dont really have anything bad to say about either of them though

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
It all depends on what your gonna use the truck for. If you want a daily driver and don't depend on it for a living a 6.0 all the way. If you depend on your truck to bring in an income then a 7.3. A 6.0 will put you out of business because it will be in the shop to much and I'm saying this for all 6.0's 03-07. A 7.3 will bring in an income and will be able to put food on the table. I'm sure Powerstrokesonly is glad that he has more 7.3's than 6.0's because if he didn't he would probably be struggling.

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
We've had 3 7.3's and 5 6.0's in our family and no 7.3 problems, a few 6.0's issues but i think both are good choices. 6.0 will give ya more power but the 7.3 will probably not break down as much.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
6 Posts
7.3l I recently ourchased one. My father owns a 350 7.3l with 185k. Ford tech told him and me to only buy a 7.3l good luck with your pourchase.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It all depends on what your gonna use the truck for. If you want a daily driver and don't depend on it for a living a 6.0 all the way. If you depend on your truck to bring in an income then a 7.3. A 6.0 will put you out of business because it will be in the shop to much and I'm saying this for all 6.0's 03-07. A 7.3 will bring in an income and will be able to put food on the table. I'm sure Powerstrokesonly is glad that he has more 7.3's than 6.0's because if he didn't he would probably be struggling.
Yea I agree with you all the way! My 7.3's never break down and they use about half the fuel that my 6.4 does pulling the big trailers. Everybody is talking about how cheap the 6.0's are to mod, but with my own experience if you don't do somtheing with the head gaskets and pull with a chip or programer you are going to have trouble. I am talking about big trailers, boats and travel trailers are probably ok. With our big trailers I blew the head gaskets in one trip over a mountain pass with a load of bucking bulls. The 6.0 had tons of power with a simple mod but it could not handle the extra power, blew the head gaskets and messed up a piston all in a week. I only put a straight pipe on my '05 6.0 and had no major engine problems, but it would suck the fuel with a big load! If it is a Ford I support it, I just happen to really like the 7.3's!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts