Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Given the choices, what would you do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2015 F350 XLT 6.7L 4x4 with 33k miles on it. Less than 4 hours after driving off the lot, the DEF blew out and now must be replaced. The dealership has given me a few options and I'm looking for your opinions.

1. Wait for the parts that are on backorder (could be 3-8 months).

2. The dealership has offered to reimburse me for taking the truck to a local garage and having it deleted.

3. Call the whole thing off, get my trade-in and down payment back, and just walk away.

What would you do?

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2016 F350 Lariat SuperCab RWD 6.7 PSD
99 Posts
A dealership said they will pay for a delete?? Hmm! How about dealership pay for local garage to install an aftermarket DEF pump and heater. Just my two cents!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What do you mean by the DEF blew out? What exactly is the part that needs to be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Took it out on the interstate and experienced what sounded and felt like a backfire while getting up to highway speed. After driving it approximately 100 miles on the interstate got a warning message stating "Exhaust Filter Overloaded. Drive to Clean." So I kept driving. A few miles later, I got another message which read, "Exhaust Filter Over Limit. Service Now." Not long after that, the wife saw sparks coming out of the exhaust pipes. Pulled over and there were white flakes coming out of the tailpipes (looked like white paint chips) and the insides of the tailpipe caps were covered in a thick white residue. The truck lost a lot of power, slowing down climbing mild hills. It went back to the dealership as soon as they opened. The dealership says it's approx $5k in parts, and it is not covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty I purchased with the vehicle. However, they are still making good on it. Sorry if I'm using incorrect nomenclature for the diesel exhaust filter. I'm a first-time diesel owner and still learning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took it out on the interstate and experienced what sounded and felt like a backfire while getting up to highway speed. After driving it approximately 100 miles on the interstate got a warning message stating "Exhaust Filter Overloaded. Drive to Clean." So I kept driving. A few miles later, I got another message which read, "Exhaust Filter Over Limit. Service Now." Not long after that, the wife saw sparks coming out of the exhaust pipes. The truck lost a lot of power, slowing down climbing mild hills. It went back to the dealership as soon as they opened.
Maybe the Diesel Particulate Filter?
Yes. This.^^^

·
Registered
08 F450
69 Posts
If it's doing something like that to the dpf, I'd go with a different truck. While I'm not a fan of the dpf systems as a whole, and only have experience with the 6.4 systems, I can't imagine what kind of lemon you have that would do that to the dpf.

Don't take the chance that anything you do will "paint over" the problem. Get a different truck. They may not cover whatever the problem is down the line

1 - 16 of 16 Posts