Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing my own oil change this week and need to find out what is a good oil to use for the 6.4L. I purchased a Motorcraft oil filter from WalMart and got Rotella T 15w-40 CJ-4 but don't know if this oil is ok. If you're doing your own oil change what oil do you use?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
163 Posts
AMSOIL 15W-40 full synthetic for me. I also have an AMSOIL dual bypass oil filter. They recomend a max of 25000 miles or 1 year between oil changes, 15000 for severe duty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
AMSOIL 15W-40 full synthetic for me. I also have an AMSOIL dual bypass oil filter. They recomend a max of 25000 miles or 1 year between oil changes, 15000 for severe duty.
I wouldn't recommend 25,000 between oil changes in the 6.4, neither will amsoil dealers. I run between 9 & 10k between oil changes and use Rotella 15-40W(Rotella is not the best but it works fine and I've been running it for 12 years with no problems). The new trucks are hard to do extended oil changes because of the EGR & DPF causing the oil to become soot loaded prematuraly. I haven't heard data from anyone running a bypass filtration system and extending there oil changes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wouldn't recommend 25,000 between oil changes in the 6.4, neither will amsoil dealers. I run between 9 & 10k between oil changes and use Rotella 15-40W(Rotella is not the best but it works fine and I've been running it for 12 years with no problems). The new trucks are hard to do extended oil changes because of the EGR & DPF causing the oil to become soot loaded prematuraly. I haven't heard data from anyone running a bypass filtration system and extending there oil changes.
Yes you are correct. I got the paragraph below off the AMSOIL website. I intend to get my oil tested at around 8K.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil is recommended for use according to the longest service interval established by the engine, vehicle or equipment manufacturer. Drain intervals may be extended when monitored by oil analysis.

AMSOIL Ea™ and Donaldson Endurance™ full flow oil filters are designed for extended drain intervals. They stop smaller particles, have less restriction and last longer than regular filters. For best performance use AMSOIL Ea™ or Donaldson Endurance™ oil filters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts