Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'd like to hear your opinions on what turbo I should put on my truck. Its looking to be either the garret 38r or the big bad wolf from Hi-tech turbo. I have done some research and the differences i have seen are the garrett is pretty much a stock turbo except with ball bearings and a wicked wheel. The big bad wolf comes with a 4 inch inlet compared to the stock garrett size. The big bad wolf comes with a fully adjustable wastegate compared to the 38r stock wastegate. Another thing is i can get the big bad wolf for around $1400. BD also makes a turbo that is almost identical to the big bad wolf. I am leaning to the big bad wolf but am a little unsure because i hear no talk of it on the org. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have heard of people having surge on the 38r.

Hears a bump for you

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'm really not a fan of Garret turbos believe it or not. ATS also makes good turbos.

·
Registered
392 Posts
DO NOT waste your time with the big bad woof or anything similar to it. they are laggier than stock and you will have higher egt's. the Garrett bb is a great turbo.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the 38r had a 4 in inlet

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
holset h2e?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The 38R is a proven turbo for our trucks and would be my choice, you can eliminate the wastegate as well.

NCH

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
stay away from the Big Bad Wolf... LOL... GTP38R is a proven choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much for your input.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I love my 38r. Put down 520hp with it so it cant be to bad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
38R for sure

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all. 38r ordered and should be here in 2 days along with my international bellowed up-pipes. just got done installing my 2007 headlights. It's a good week for the ol girl! :woot:

·
Registered
133 Posts
ok, first question, were can i get those bellowed pipes, second one (probly stupid) but whats the advantages of the bigger turbo

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
international makes the bellowed up-pipes but many performance diesel dealers have them. the garrett 38r is not so much bigger as it is better than stock. it has ball bearings instead of the stock seals(which cant handle high boost numbers). garrett rates the stock turbo up to 20 psi and rates the 38r ball bearing to 40psi. The stock turbo may work for a while like mine did but it will definately let go under high boost cases and snap the shaft. The 38r comes with a wheel similar to the wicked wheel already installed and comes with a 4inch intake side. If you dont want to be sitting along side of the road because your turbo blew because you were pushing 31psi I would go with the 38r.

·
Registered
305 Posts
OK now just curious would it work on a truck with stock injectors. Or would it be just a waste of money?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it would. I have stock injectors in mine. The turbo will give you a little quicker response from what im told but mine isn't on yet. Its not gonna give you that much more power it will just hold up to the power you have(assuming you have a chip, intake, exhaust, etc.) on a bone stock truck it wouldn't be worth it. It also has the ability to work with other injectors in case you decided to upgrade down the road. Anybody feel free to chime in if you disagree or have any other info. i have just done a lot of research and actually talked to a garrett tech about it before just spending $1575 on a turbo and thats the info i got.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
OK now just curious would it work on a truck with stock injectors. Or would it be just a waste of money?
Yes it would. I have stock injectors in mine. The turbo will give you a little quicker response from what im told but mine isn't on yet. Its not gonna give you that much more power it will just hold up to the power you have(assuming you have a chip, intake, exhaust, etc.) on a bone stock truck it wouldn't be worth it. It also has the ability to work with other injectors in case you decided to upgrade down the road. Anybody feel free to chime in if you disagree or have any other info. i have just done a lot of research and actually talked to a garrett tech about it before just spending $1575 on a turbo and thats the info i got.
It'll give you a little more with stock injectors. Your factory turbo won't stand up to the pressure caused by aftermarket injectors, and it won't build enough boost to efficently burn the extra fuel. That's why guys upgrade. A chip on these things will push the limits of your factory turbo too. So upgrade! You won't be sorry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts