Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here and this is my first post.:dunno:
Need help with my 2006 6.0 turbo delima. The ford Garage (under Warranty at 30K) put a "Remanufactured" turbo on without telling me. Now I'm at 130K and need to either rebuild the turbo or get another one. Rumor is it's risky rebuilding a remanufactured turbo (my mechanic told me) but not impossible. A stock rebuild kit may not work if the opened the bearing housing bores and installed larger OD bearings...so if I just replace the turbo...which one (cost effectively) should i put on? (just fyi...turbolag was bad before and I'd like to get rid of all i can through this)
use of truck: Primarily short trips (30 mi.) (empty) and towing a 34 ft fifth wheel (6-8k lbs) cross country.

6.0, ARP Head studs, 4" sst turbo back, IRP Remote Oil Cooler, AFE intake, EGR Del, Blue Spring, SCT Tuner.

· Premium Member
4,481 Posts
I don't know about rebuilding the re-manufactured issues you brought up, but when I looked at a new turbo couple months ago the best options were a powermax for about $1200 or a MTW stage 1 billet(rebuilds yours) for about $1100. I went MTW as it offers more performance. PM madpowerstroke on here and ask him about the reman issue. Powermax would need a tune to run right where as the MTW can run without a tuner.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I dont know anything about the MTW. How Does it compare to the Garret Powermax? I done some calling and Throughbred Diesel recommended the Aroura 3000 (more pricy) and said the spool-up is "crazy fast compared to the garret" and is NON-VGT which would be less problems maybe.

· Registered
2,004 Posts
Mtw stage 1 with new billet wheel, and you will be set. That's what I'm getting great for stock injectors and tuning but can handle more if you choose to put in bigger injectors down the road.

· Registered
4,822 Posts
Call or Shoot me a text at 810-869-7782 and I'll be able to explain it all for you. The Stage 2 is off the table for now. We are moving away from the Stage 2 as it is too hard to source and keep cost effective. Anyways, give me a shout.

· Registered
2,626 Posts
Doesn't matter what MTW turbo you get...you will still need it tuned for the turbo to get it dialed in

· Premium Member
4,481 Posts
Doesn't matter what MTW turbo you get...you will still need it tuned for the turbo to get it dialed in
You know something we don't? MTW says the stage 1 can run with a stock tune. If you are running no other mods, and don't want a performance upgrade, there is no reason to get a tune. Now I think we can all agree if you have a MTW turbo, you probably want to take advantage of it with a performance tune- but it's not required, my advice above is sound. Read about it on the MTW site:

MTW Stage 1 - Information & Purchase

· Registered
2,626 Posts
they need to get tuned...i have a hybrid...it needed tuning big time as well as many others who have one. And yet my turbo still surges just a little. Just go and talk to others who are running Adrians turbo's...they need tuning to get dialed it. Can you run them without tuning sure, but it wont run perfect. Just ask Adrian. Tuscany(Bryan) needed tuning for his stage 1 to get it dialed in to run right. There has been surging with the stage 1. This is where tuning comes into play to get it to stop. These turbo's need tuning to get dialed in.

· Registered
2,004 Posts
Bryans stage 1 is tweaked a little if I remember correctly. The stage one most of us buy are not tweak and can run on stock tuning I talked with Adrian about the stage 1

· Premium Member
4,481 Posts
they need to get tuned...i have a hybrid...it needed tuning big time as well as many others who have one. And yet my turbo still surges just a little. Just go and talk to others who are running Adrians turbo's...they need tuning to get dialed it. Can you run them without tuning sure, but it wont run perfect. Just ask Adrian. Tuscany(Bryan) needed tuning for his stage 1 to get it dialed in to run right. There has been surging with the stage 1. This is where tuning comes into play to get it to stop. These turbo's need tuning to get dialed in.
Your info is a little outdated. The new billet wheel in the stage 1 cured the surge. I have a stage 1 billet. I do talk to Adrian. I recomended the stage 1 billet to the OP and referred to that turbo throughout this thread. As you noted, the hybrid is a different animal that would need tuning. I will let the MTW guys answer any tech questions you have, I'm sure Windrunner may want to provide some further insight if anybody has any other questions.

· Registered
4,822 Posts
Ok, there is a difference between "will work" and "peak performance". I agree that if a turbo is different from stock, that it will more than likely need a special tune to achieve peak potential performance from the truck with the new turbo. This is an unfortunate part of the performance world. However, this doesn't mean that the turbo won't work just fine and the truck feel stronger if a stock turbo performance tune is used, which is the case of the Stage 1 turbo (billet wheel or cast wheel in most cases). This turbo can and has been proven to work and perform just fine with tunes written for the stock turbo. Yes it "MAY" need a special tune if someone is trying to get the turbo build more boost than what a stock turbo builds. The bottom line though is that each truck is different and each user is different with different expectations. I have ran the stage 1 and stage 2 turbos on my truck and both performed just fine and built stock levels of boost. I would submit that a healthy running 6.0 should do the same. Hope this helps guys.

· Premium Member
12,033 Posts
The idea of putting a performance turbo on your truck and not tuning it to its potential just cracks me up. Why spend $1000 or more for performance hardware and then balk at a $75 tune to get the most out of it. I just don't follow the logic behind this.

· Registered
2,626 Posts
Exactly my point Nate and Mitch....thank you for proving it. I mentioned that it can be run under stock tuning but like i already said...it will need tuning to get it perfect and to get the most out of it. I just see it being really pointless to run it under stock tuning. I guess what I should've said earlier is that they "should" be tuned...not "need" to be. Plus tuning should be free anyways as long as you use the same tuner and don't change your strategy. Tweaking the tune for the turbo won't cost anything.... so why wouldn't a person do it.

· Registered
4,822 Posts
The idea of putting a performance turbo on your truck and not tuning it to its potential just cracks me up. Why spend $1000 or more for performance hardware and then balk at a $75 tune to get the most out of it. I just don't follow the logic behind this.
Exactly my point Nate and Mitch....thank you for proving it. I mentioned that it can be run under stock tuning but like i already said...it will need tuning to get it perfect and to get the most out of it. I just see it being really pointless to run it under stock tuning. I guess what I should've said earlier is that they "should" be tuned...not "need" to be. Plus tuning should be free anyways as long as you use the same tuner and don't change your strategy. Tweaking the tune for the turbo won't cost anything.... so why wouldn't a person do it.
It all depends on what people want to do guys. I agree that more performance can be had from these turbos with some tweaking of the tuning as it only makes sense, due to their larger compressor maps. However though, some people just want a turbo that they can drop into their trucks and go and not have to worry about any extra tuning and this is a turbo that has shown to work pretty well with stock turbo tuning (whether it be an all stock tune or performance tune written for a stock turbo). Case in point. I have a guy that I am dealing with up in Canada and he wants this sort of flexibility because he doesn't want to push his motor that hard. Basically all he wants is 28-30 psi of boost from his turbo and a stock turbo tune has shown to be able to that over and over. Hope this makes sense all.

· Registered
2,626 Posts
Makes perfect sense Nate...it all comes down to what the customers needs/wants are.

· Premium Member
4,481 Posts
I don't know what point you "proved"? The OP is asking for direct replacement options. I told him the MTW stage 1 billet was just that, needs nothing and wont surge as quoted on Adrian's website

MTW Stage 1 - Information & Purchase
"This is a bolt on stock upgrade that needs nothing"

But your opinion as stated:

There has been surging with the stage 1. This is where tuning comes into play to get it to stop. These turbo's need tuning to get dialed in.
I think the OP has enough info to make an informed decision at this point to what suits his needs. I'm sure you stated opinions helped, and for that we appreciate.

· Registered
2,626 Posts
I didn't prove my point...Nate did it for me like I said. He pretty much said the same thing I was saying. Everyone of Adrian's turbos is a direct replacement option(uses factory Pedestal, feed line, and drain). Reguardless its all what the OP wants to get out of his truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.