Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Powerstorke Folks,

I am looking for opinions on toy haulers. I'm about to be in the market for a new/used one and wanted to see if there were any suggestions on what to look for or avoid. I am leaning to a fifth wheel vs conventional tow.

I have a 2017 F250, wife and two kids ages 4 and 2. We live in southern california and plan on purchasing a side by side, quads or motorcycles as the kids get older to play in the desert and Pismo Beach. We would also be using the trailer for weekend getaways without toys.

Any helpful tips would be great!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hey Powerstorke Folks,

I am looking for opinions on toy haulers. I'm about to be in the market for a new/used one and wanted to see if there were any suggestions on what to look for or avoid. I am leaning to a fifth wheel vs conventional tow.

I have a 2017 F250, wife and two kids ages 4 and 2. We live in southern california and plan on purchasing a side by side, quads or motorcycles as the kids get older to play in the desert and Pismo Beach. We would also be using the trailer for weekend getaways without toys.

Thanks in advance!
If your truely gonna get a sxs and some quads and dirt bikes and want to take them all at once then you will want a floor plan without the garage, I know my buddy has a Genesis supreme and there the only hauler on the market that will hold two 4seat rzr’s there super nice inside as well, but fuzion makes a nice 5th wheel, I would go walk a few places and look for the best floor plan that fit’s what you need, then shop around by price!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I just bought a Dutchmen triton voltage 2951. They stopped making them in 2018 so it is just dealer stock. The new one is the 3001 but is basically the same floor plan. It has a 17 foot garage. We just got back from the first trip with it. The truck pulled it great. I think your limiting factor will be the 250 if you want to stay within weight ratings. The triton is pretty small and light for a 5er toy hauler though. It’s 33’6” about 10,500 empty and 2,500 tongue weight. We looked at a lot of short 5th wheel toyhaulers and narrowed it down to this and the sandstorm. We only picked this over the sandstorm due to dealer ability to service the camper. The dealer with the sandstorm had like 6 service bays and was in the middle of Salt Lake City and a pain to get in and out of. The one with the triton is closer and has about 30 service bays and really convienient and easy to get in and out of. One thing that would make it a little more spacious is if the couch in the living area was on the slide. It is a little tight if the couch and table is up and the chairs are in. I think the 3001 has the slide. I can take some pics and post them in a little bit of what I’m talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The other thing I wish was possible was if the top bed is locked up and the bottom one is down you have to raise the lower bunk up to unpin the top one then lower the top one down. It’s a pain to raise the lower one if the table is set up cause you have to move the tabletop to raise it. I wish I could have the table set up with the top bunk locked up during the day then when it’s time for the kid to go to bed just lower the top bunk for him to sleep on but I had to break down the table, raise the lower bunk and then lower both back down. The top bunk doesn’t appear to be hooked to the chain. It just rest on the lower bunk to raise and lower and then stopped lowering when it gets to the catch.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
First off you need to weigh you're truck at a CAT scale so you can figure out exactly how much pin weight you can carry. The dry weight is not very accurate IMHO, but I would try to find a light weight toy hauler because you are limited by having a F-250. Research is the biggest advantage you have by going on RV manufactures web pages, do not let a salesman tell you you're truck is fine when looking at 16,000lb toy hauler then want too sell unit's.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Here are the pics of couch, table and chairs. Also you can only use 1 table or the other. You can’t walk between the two tables and if both are up the one section of the table in the back becomes kind of unusable.

Also here is a pic of the back table showing how you have to remove the table to raise the seat past it to be able to lower the top bunk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
First off.... i cant tell u any 5th wheel TH that will be in spec for your truck after loading your family in the 250... Ive done a lot of research on it cause im looking to upgrade.

Personally I really like the Grand Design Momentums they range in pricing and size. I want to say their 398 M has an 18' Garage which is the largest in their fleet IIRC.

Most 250s im seeing have payloads in the 1900-2500lbs range. the pin weight empty is going to be close to that on most toy haulers.

Now u can always take the " i dont care about the sticker" mentality and beef up the truck and then if thats you, then cool LOL

If you want fit and finish deff check out the Momentum M or TH class haulers from Grand Design RV. I know Jayco has the Seismic and the Talon... both really nice aswell.

if you want something budget, then id check out Forest River Wolf Pack. I tend to try and stay away from anything Keystone but some people really seem to like the Fuzions.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
First off.... i cant tell u any 5th wheel TH that will be in spec for your truck after loading your family in the 250... Ive done a lot of research on it cause im looking to upgrade.

Personally I really like the Grand Design Momentums they range in pricing and size. I want to say their 398 M has an 18' Garage which is the largest in their fleet IIRC.

Most 250s im seeing have payloads in the 1900-2500lbs range. the pin weight empty is going to be close to that on most toy haulers.

Now u can always take the " i dont care about the sticker" mentality and beef up the truck and then if thats you, then cool LOL

If you want fit and finish deff check out the Momentum M or TH class haulers from Grand Design RV. I know Jayco has the Seismic and the Talon... both really nice aswell.

if you want something budget, then id check out Forest River Wolf Pack. I tend to try and stay away from anything Keystone but some people really seem to like the Fuzions.
I looked at the grand design. I don’t think any will fit in the weight specs of a 250. Also they are $$$$$$ from what I saw

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I looked at the grand design. I don’t think any will fit in the weight specs of a 250. Also they are $$$$$$ from what I saw
I can honestly say i dont know any toy hauler 5er that fits into any F250 Diesel category specs. yeah GD isnt the cheapest. but... their build quality and after sales support is bar none the best ive encountered with RVs for sub 100K mass produced units.

the thing is tho on most units u can negotiate 20-30% off MSRP so a 100k unit will run you about 70+ k brand new. there are some nice used options too a year or two old that people are trying to offload on RVTrader.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Hey Powerstorke Folks,

Thanks in advance!
If you don't want to trade your f250 in for a dually stick with a smaller pull toyhauler. You're side by side can go in the toyhauler and motorcycles or quad can go in the back of the truck.
We went out to buy the 399t Grand Design TH, but came home with a same size, giant, Seismic toyhauler. We can only fit the rzr and one motorcycle in the garage.
If I could, I would sell the Seismic and get the 18ft garage Grand Design.

We didn't have a side by side when we bought the trailer, those things are huge, it's tough to get everything to the sand.

This is a picture of my 6.0 loaded with the Toys we would have had to leave home, we have to bring two rigs. Seismic in the back ground.

Smaller pull toyhauler, you could probably do something similar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts

They are $&$&$, I have to say, they build a hell of a camper.

We came from a Fuzion 371. We loved everything except the quality and the dealership and Keystone. Other than those items, nice pin box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
did a bunch of shopping around this year for a toy hauler. There are plenty of trailers, but I wanted a Class A or C type RV.

I looked at a number of the Thor Outlaws. Their layouts are amazing! One of them had 3 queen beds! One was over the garage and in it's own little bunk house! The garages are very big.

We saw one in use at a Harley Rally. Very impressive, but I kept looking because I wanted a diesel engine, not the Ford V10 gas engine. I also was disappointed with the quality of finish out of the inside of the units. Everything looked very nice, but it was cheap. I looked at a unit that only had about 35K miles on it and the inside did not hold up well to its use.

We ended up getting a 2008 Jayco Seneca ZX. It is perfect for us: big diesel engine (Chevy Duramax 5500,) has a lift-gate rather than a typical ramp, and the build quality is vastly better than the Thor units. Being 8 years old and 36K miles, the interior looked brand new. It is a beast of an engine and should last for many years. They quit making the toy hauler version in 2008.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'll throw another in the hat for grand design. I have a momentum, and my only complaint is how heavy the thing is. Other than that, its great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll throw another in the hat for grand design. I have a momentum, and my only complaint is how heavy the thing is. Other than that, its great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We have the 42 Solitude, great 5er!

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
For what it’s worth Grand Design now has 26-34 ‘ tow behind trailers. I know Keystone has a few too

·
Registered
311 Posts
For what it’s worth Grand Design now has 26-34 ‘ tow behind trailers. I know Keystone has a few too

We had a Fuzion 371 TH, looks like a million, costs close, quality of the interior was sad.

Love our GD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts