Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Sitting at a light it's in gear 1 tcslip is around 1200-1500. Driving it goes down to about 500 or lower before a shift...in gear 3 is locks to gear I call 3.5 and depending on driving style (weight of foot) it's anywhere from 5-800. Gear 4 is stays below 10ish.

I don't know how to interpret any of it. I thought I'd see a correlation between TCSlip and rpm but I don't.

What does all of that mean and is it normal?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
With those numbers (just from my own memory of my gauges since again, Photobucket is down), you're absolutely fine.

When asking what it means, just think of it as a separate RPM counter, specific to the TC. The fluid dynamics in the numbers are followed based on accelerating or slowing.

I essentially imagine a torque converter broken in half when driving. Imagine the fluid moving through the veins of engine-side which spins the opposite side (where it transfers energy to the trans).

Going back to the scenario where you're sitting at the red light--your torque converter is unlocked and spinning on the engine-half. The transmission-half isn't moving because your brakes are depressed and wheels aren't moving (forcing the engine-side of the converter to heat up the fluid as it works against the stopped transmission-side of the converter). Take your foot off of the brake only and what happens? You'll start to slowly move forward from the veins in the engine-half of the torque converter pushing fluid through the veins in the transmission-half of the torque converter.

From there, your numbers will shoot up based upon how aggressively you hit the throttle. Imagine that engine-side of the torque converter spinning at 3k+ RPMs as you've mashed down the skinny pedal. The transmission-half of the torque converter will be resistantly catching up as fluid is forced through the veins from the engine-side at 3k+ RPMs.

As you speed up and the trans shifts up as well, your rotations on the transmission-half of the torque converter will eventually synchronize with the engine-side of the torque converter.

As parameters are met for shifting and locking, the torque converter will lock, mating the engine RPMs to the transmission RPMs. The speed you're experiencing is coming from the higher gears on the transmission and the mated RPMs to the engine.

When locked, a healthy torque converter will stay around "0" but it's normal for there to be slippage in varying driving habits, climates, road conditions, temperatures, etc.

·
Home & Community
54 Posts
After I installed the Hydra chip I found the truck crashing into gear like someone rear ended me. That is on brisk acceleration, not racing it at all.

But this week I had to take it into Ford to obtain error codes as my OD Off light is blinking.

Need to figure all this out and revisit the Hydra chip software I downloaded a year ago. Corey stated maybe I downloaded an incorrect program. I recall being very careful following instructions but I'm considering the possibility the download was an error. If the software is correct this rough shifting is unacceptable. Easing off on the gas allows a smooth shift.

Note: I have read other forum members reporting this rough shifting issue?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
With those numbers (just from my own memory of my gauges since again, Photobucket is down), you're absolutely fine.

When asking what it means, just think of it as a separate RPM counter, specific to the TC. The fluid dynamics in the numbers are followed based on accelerating or slowing.

I essentially imagine a torque converter broken in half when driving. Imagine the fluid moving through the veins of engine-side which spins the opposite side (where it transfers energy to the trans).

Going back to the scenario where you're sitting at the red light--your torque converter is unlocked and spinning on the engine-half. The transmission-half isn't moving because your brakes are depressed and wheels aren't moving (forcing the engine-side of the converter to heat up the fluid as it works against the stopped transmission-side of the converter). Take your foot off of the brake only and what happens? You'll start to slowly move forward from the veins in the engine-half of the torque converter pushing fluid through the veins in the transmission-half of the torque converter.

From there, your numbers will shoot up based upon how aggressively you hit the throttle. Imagine that engine-side of the torque converter spinning at 3k+ RPMs as you've mashed down the skinny pedal. The transmission-half of the torque converter will be resistantly catching up as fluid is forced through the veins from the engine-side at 3k+ RPMs.

As you speed up and the trans shifts up as well, your rotations on the transmission-half of the torque converter will eventually synchronize with the engine-side of the torque converter.

As parameters are met for shifting and locking, the torque converter will lock, mating the engine RPMs to the transmission RPMs. The speed you're experiencing is coming from the higher gears on the transmission and the mated RPMs to the engine.

When locked, a healthy torque converter will stay around "0" but it's normal for there to be slippage in varying driving habits, climates, road conditions, temperatures, etc.
Dayum dude. You sound like a mechanic. Excellent explanation.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
After I installed the Hydra chip I found the truck crashing into gear like someone rear ended me. That is on brisk acceleration, not racing it at all.

But this week I had to take it into Ford to obtain error codes as my OD Off light is blinking.

Need to figure all this out and revisit the Hydra chip software I downloaded a year ago. Corey stated maybe I downloaded an incorrect program. I recall being very careful following instructions but I'm considering the possibility the download was an error. If the software is correct this rough shifting is unacceptable. Easing off on the gas allows a smooth shift.

Note: I have read other forum members reporting this rough shifting issue?
Put your Hydra on setting 0. This is a pass through and will run the stock PCM program.

When I did my Hydra (I'm an IT guy) I almost got the wrong thing. They way they have you search for a hex code then you have to type in the hex code to search for the correct tunes instead of auto-populating. This violated many interface design standards and I'm surprised they don't get more calls.

Set to zero then it can't be the chip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
on the TC slip numbers.. when towing my 30 ft airstream I will see the gauge on torque app jump from 0 to 15 to 2 to 10 etc.. with TC locked up at speeds above 50 MPH OD on. The temps will go up a bit but never over 190 with the "new" 6.0 cooler i put on last year with outdoor air temps (OAT) around 80 deg.

I can be on flat ground no head wind, or pulling the Hwy 421 hill (6% grade for 3 miles) heading up to boone nc and get same readings. My engine rpm will be 2200 with OD off and speed around 55 MPH seem to be the best for pulling I have found. (on that 6% grade) :)

My point is watching the gauge on Torque is subject to the moving dynamic's of a transmission and I am thinking after reading post here, my trans with 186K is in good overall condition for a 2003 stock stock stock running a 65HP tow tune from DP. :)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts