Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the forum been lurking for a few months and its finally time for me to get a truck. Was just curious what other would say to look out for when I'm looking at trucks. I've read about the transmission being a possible problem on the 7.3, that's mainly it though. Any other suggestions of things to look for would be appreciated. I couldn't really find a thread already about this so sorry if its been done.. Thanks

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
:ORG welcome:

the auto tranny is a weak link, not bad tranny but just may need mods depending on what your doing.

items to check:
1. turbo compessor wheel for damage and side to side shaft play
2. rust on the oil pan
3. leaks (post leaks here, some arent as bad as they seem, may be a big negitiating factor for you)
4. tranny fluid color
5. cold start - pull the oil cap off, place it up side down on the fill hole, it shouldnt blow off. (cheap blowby test)
6. get maintenance records if available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, im still looking around....im pretty picky. Ive been looking at some 6.0's seems to me that you can get one with lower miles for a better price, even though there will be some upgrades I have to put.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i would RUN away from a 6.0 the best to buy is the 7.3. the trans. will hold up if u maintain in and dont mod it too much. my bud has an excursion with the 7.3 495k and factory trans lasted until around 301k and rear end on second one now first one went bad at like 250k due to bad axle seal and he didn't catch in time. these motors are the BEST around thats why they are a pretty penny to buy b/c u get what u pay for. but thats just my .02 :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts