Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I am not familiar w/ this 6.0 stuff...My dad recently purchased a '03 F-250 w/ 6.0 in it. He wants to get some more power out of it because we will be towing a toy hauler from IA to back to Alaska next month, currently it just has a K&N Intake system, I was thinking the SCT tuner? But what custom tunes are the best to get burned to it? Where do you get it from? Obviously 4" TB exhaust is next...thanks for the help :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I am not familiar w/ this 6.0 stuff...My dad recently purchased a '03 F-250 w/ 6.0 in it. He wants to get some more power out of it because we will be towing a toy hauler from IA to back to Alaska next month, currently it just has a K&N Intake system, I was thinking the SCT tuner? But what custom tunes are the best to get burned to it? Where do you get it from? Obviously 4" TB exhaust is next...thanks for the help :thumb:
First you need a set of gauges, As far as tunes go you cant go wrong with: Dj's Innovative, or Spartans. I have heard bad things about K&N intakes. But imo you should get gauges and exhaust before even thinking about a SCT

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, he'll prolly just order them all up at once, I was looking at that SCT livewire, doesn't that have gauges built in?

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Check to see if you can get the Livewire for your model year, not sure if they have it for the 03's. But DJ's is a great place to get tunes from, I've got a street econ, tow , and Looney from him, and keep it on looney all the time except when towing. Best tunes I've ever used.

-BG06.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd check to see if the headgaskets/studs have been done. Otherwise get ready to have some fun at the dealership

·
Banned
0 Posts
If you plan to tow a toy hauler with any sort of tuning, you better plan on headstuds, exhaust and gauges. Blocking off the EGR cooler would be a good idea as well. You didn't mention how heavy the hauler would be, but you can't run a very hot tune with anything above 6-8,000 lbs. A mild tow tune will work for most anything but I wouldn't even recommend that without studs.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
+1. Depending on the budget you should get guages, exhaust, intake, studs, delete EGR, and then the SCT.

I have tunes from Eric at Innovative diesel and love them. You can't go wrong with the others mentioned above either. Good luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the toy hauler is 28ft. bumper pull, it weighs about 6500 lb., He isn't really looking for a truck to go race with or nothing like that, just wants a lil more power, nothing crazy, the truck is a daily driver/tow rig. I'll deff. look into studs..and deleting egr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts