Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day/evening/night I'm looking to join the diesel world but I need some advice. I can't decide if I want to save some money and buy a used 08-10 6.4 or if I should just go all out and get a new 6.7 powerstroke? I'm looking at either a fully loaded all options 2009 f250 fx4 with 57,000 miles or a brand new 2012 f250 xlt with most options. The difference in price will be about $150-200 a month. I know the 6.4 doesn't get the greatest fuel mileage and has some reliability issues but if I go that route it'll be getting a dpf and egr delete along with a spartan tuner where as the 6.7 will stay stock. The extra $150-200 a month that I'd save with a used one will help out me and my girlfriend a lot but I don't want to end up buying a problem vehicle to try and save a buck. Any advice would be great, thanks in advance. Oh and the 09 fx4 has had one owner with all maintenance records.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
A GOOD 7.3 LOL
terrible idea way to slow haha jk great trucks just way to slow for me.

buy a 6.4 if your going to tune/delete thses are sweet trucks and tune for tune will spank a 6.7

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 7.3 is an amazing engine but as stroker007 said, it's way to slow lol. I currently own a 2010 f150 fx4 and I've raced a friends older brother with a spartan tuned 6.4 and it was fast and he was just running the 150 tune cause his new exhaust wasnt in yet. Only delma is I'm no diesel mechanic so if something happens to that 6.4 I'm stuck paying a shop to fix it where as if I get a 6.7 it'll stay stock with warranty (I don't really care that it's slower, it'll still light up the tires hard lol). The biggest decision is the money for me.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
150-200/month for how long for each? I would go 6.4 if you're gonna be in a crunch to pay for the 6.7

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The loan would be through ford Canada (where I live) and they would both be for 6 years. I won't be living in a crunch with a 6.7 but I'm just not gonna be getting any other major loans for a few years, at least till I'm higher on the pay sacale at work lol.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I can or know people that can show me most fluid changes

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Ok so then if you can perform basic maintenance you should be ok unless something major happens. And a shop is fine if you they are experienced with the engine and have a good reputation.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL while selling cummins but dreaming of powerstrokes!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drunk on diesel, is there a reason why you would go with a 6.4?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many miles are on your 6.4, how often do you do regular maintenance, how do you drive it and any mods?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I bought it at 108k, currently 144k, oil change every 5k, fuel filters every 10k. Mostly highway driving. H&S Mini Maxx, AFE Intake, 4" exhaust.

the truck got an oil cooler at 90k per the Oasis report. It was cracked.

I put thermostats in it around 135k and my deltas still look good.

Check engine hours if you're looking at a 6.4. The average speed for my truck over the first 108k was 41mph. You don't want a truck that's been idled excessively. That is THE absolute killer for a 6.4 in stock form

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks drunk on diesel, I have to wait till tomorrow but I'll get an oasis report done. How do I check the average speed on the truck? Is it just on the computer in the dash?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Yes, you can display the engine hours on the cluster. Mine's a lariat, so it has the info center, but if the truck just has the stalk, the hours can still be displayed, I just couldn't tell you how! LOL

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks lol, I'll make sure I do a big inspection/investigation on the truck before I make my decision.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 6.4 will stay stock till the warranty is almost up so I can save up money and have the cab pulled and do a turbo back exhaust and egr and cooler delete all at once.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts