Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Served Our Country!
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in April we drive back from LA and averaged 14mpg at 75mpg on cruise control with same lift and tires that are on it now and original H&S software before the last update with the issues.

This weekend we drove back down and averaged 8-9 mpg with the additions of the AirDog II, 47 gallon fuel tank, front and rear winch bumpers and no tailgate with new updated software at 75mph on cruise control..

You cant tell me I lost half with those mods.. i read people actually claimed 2-3 mpg improvement with the AirDog.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
For what its worth there are several articles saying removing the tail gate will reduce mileage. Can you go back to the old tunes to see if there is a difference?

·
Served Our Country!
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For what its worth there are several articles saying removing the tail gate will reduce mileage
I only removed it for the tiregate that was going on when I got to SoCal.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
you also gotta think weight of that extra 20gal of fuel and those bumpers is going to make a difference as well. but shouldnt decrease mileage that bad, and as mentioned above there has been tests on wind resistance and removing the tailgate actually increases drag so thats another factor

i woulda thought youd get better than 14 on the highway even. thats what i get mixed driving and about 15 on the highway.

·
Served Our Country!
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My new tailgate...

It sits in the bed also but had to have it out for the shoot.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
There's your problem :poke: that's another extra couple hundred pounds and a big ol sail causing all that drag. When's the truck actually going to be in the mag?

·
Served Our Country!
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unfortunately that wasn't on when I was driving down.

He said Dec/Jan issue.. but check out the Sept issue at the full 2 page American Racing Wheels add... how do you like my truck photo chopped on 22s lol

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
personally that is why i dont want to update my tuning software because i like how it all is now, when you go changing things is when you get problems...ill probably do it eventually but ill put it off until ford tells me to come in for the pcm recall update

·
Served Our Country!
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea we had a good laugh about that. Well after talking to a few guys running a roof rack I guess that could be a good amount of the issue. As one told me "it adds a lot of drag"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts