Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

At what temps do you start plugging your trucks in at night?

Just trying to get some input since my daily commute is about 3 miles each way and with the temps dipping into the low 30's at night here lately I've had to idle my truck for about 15 minutes before she hits the 100* mark.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry should have posted that I high idle it, not just regular idle.

I refuse to get in it and drive right away, I live .5 miles from the interstate that I take to work where everyone is doing 70mph.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I live about 500 feet from the highway and I just jump in and go - even in the 30 below weather that we get up here - although the truck is parked in a garage. I have 5w 40 synthetic in mine. If its parked outside I plug it in once the temperature drops below about 15 degrees F. I own about 20 diesel engines and have yet to see one actually wear out.

·
Registered
800 Posts
+15 degrees or lower before you need to plug in. Use Syn oil and never plug in..
Remember, your truck will use 1,500 watts of power, so plugging in all night will definitely screw your electric bill.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I plug it in at 30 degrees, I don't like cold starts. That's at work though, when I'm home it's parked in the garage that seldom gets below 50.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think someone did the math and it added 20 or so dollars to your bill to plug it in for a month. Of course prices vary.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What's the minimum amount of time if you use a timer

·
Registered
251 Posts
What's the minimum amount of time if you use a timer
I usually have mine turn on for about 3-4 hours before I leave in the mornings. The only reason I plug mine in because I short trip it as well. These new trucks will start easy in just about any temp unplugged though

·
Registered
109 Posts
I usually have mine turn on for about 3-4 hours before I leave in the mornings. The only reason I plug mine in because I short trip it as well. These new trucks will start easy in just about any temp unplugged though
Thanks Matt - as a first time diesel owner trying to get an understanding for what to do this winter

I assume you use a timer?

Also thinking of going to 5W40 Synthetic as that seems better suited for lower temps

·
Registered
966 Posts
I bought my truck in Utah and it's one of the 37 states that don't automatically get the block heater. Being an early buyer, I didn't know the 6.7L unlike past powerstroke did not come with the heat coil. In past trucks it was easy to just add the cord and have the heater if needed.

So I can't plug mine in. I spent last winter up in the oil field in North Dakota at -25°F and didn't have any problems starting the truck with the remote start each morning.

The idle and high idle don't do much to actually warm up the coolant or oil. Just driving 2-30 mph does a much better job of getting the truck up to operating temps. Watch it this winter, 5 minutes of high idle won't warm the oil as much as 1 minute of driving. I start the truck and let it run for a minute to get the oil flowing to all parts then get in and drive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Matt - as a first time diesel owner trying to get an understanding for what to do this winter

I assume you use a timer?

Also thinking of going to 5W40 Synthetic as that seems better suited for lower temps
I use a timer at home - but only because I'm cheap and want to save on power. I haven't noticed a difference in the truck warming up for any amount past about 5 hours, so I have the timer set to turn on at about 1 AM. If I have a plug in at work it stays plugged in for as long as it sits there.

My truck cranks noticeably better in the super cold weather with 5w40 in it. I just run it all year round.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use a timer at home - but only because I'm cheap and want to save on power. I haven't noticed a difference in the truck warming up for any amount past about 5 hours, so I have the timer set to turn on at about 1 AM. If I have a plug in at work it stays plugged in for as long as it sits there.

My truck cranks noticeably better in the super cold weather with 5w40 in it. I just run it all year round.
That sounds good - what type of timer do you use.

I am planning to go to 5W40 Synthetic after I dump the orginal at 3K and stick with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That sounds good - what type of timer do you use.

I am planning to go to 5W40 Synthetic after I dump the orginal at 3K and stick with it.
I use one of these

At 8.8 cents per kilowatt hour I figure if I am saving an average of 6 hours/day of not having the block heater plugged in, the timer has paid for itself in about a month. Not huge savings, but worth it for the relatively little amount of trouble.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts