Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out a way to fake my truck into thinking I have a trailer connected when towing my little trailer. It does not have brakes, and uses the 4 pin connector. It is a pain in the azz to have the proximity warning come on every time I back up. I would like to devise a way to use a 7 pin connector and wire in a resistor or something to whatever circuit triggers the "trailer connected" logic. I also do not want to let the smoke out of something in my truck by wiring it wrong.
Any ideas? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am trying to figure out a way to fake my truck into thinking I have a trailer connected when towing my little trailer. It does not have brakes, and uses the 4 pin connector. It is a pain in the azz to have the proximity warning come on every time I back up. I would like to devise a way to use a 7 pin connector and wire in a resistor or something to whatever circuit triggers the "trailer connected" logic. I also do not want to let the smoke out of something in my truck by wiring it wrong.
Any ideas? Much appreciated!
I hard wired my Recon tailgate marker lights up to my seven-pin connector wires and it thinks that I have a trailer hooked up. Not all seven wires were used either. The lights only used four wires (left turn, right turn, brake, and running lights)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hard wired my Recon tailgate marker lights up to my seven-pin connector wires and it thinks that I have a trailer hooked up. Not all seven wires were used either. The lights only used four wires (left turn, right turn, brake, and running lights)

Now that is weird. You would think that it would be no different than a small trailer. My little trailer only uses 4 wires- turn, running and ground. Does it go away if you unhook it?
I think it’s the brake wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is what I would think too, but don't know how to go about faking the truck out.

Although, if @UR2EZ has it register a trailer with only a light bar then maybe the problem is with my truck and it SHOULD register my little trailer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Now that is weird. You would think that it would be no different than a small trailer. My little trailer only uses 4 wires- turn, running and ground. Does it go away if you unhook it?

That is what I would think too, but don't know how to go about faking the truck out.

Although, if @UR2EZ has it register a trailer with only a light bar then maybe the problem is with my truck and it SHOULD register my little trailer.

I should clarify my statement: I believe it works off of the trailer brake wire for the actual brakes, not the brake lights.

Mine does not detect trailers with 4-way plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
460 Posts

What year is your truck? Mine is a 2016 F350 and yes, it goes away if I unplugged the wires. I just tapped into them using T-Taps. A buddy of mine had a 2015 F150 and it would recognize his four-way trailer. I'm not sure if mine recognizes them or not since I installed these light on my truck as soon as I got it. Here's a pic of where I tapped them into

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the plot thickens....lol.
Mine is a 15. Going back to what Jav_ee said, I thought it was the brake output wire (for the braking intensity) that did it.
So strange. It seems to vary from truck to truck. My trailer has all LED lights so maybe the power draw is not enough? Cant see that since a light bar is doing it though.
I'll have to hook it up and go to the trailer menu but I swear it just told me "no trailer connected" or something similar.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah ha! Google Fu for the win! Well, maybe. Have yet to try it out.
So, according to a post here: https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-electronics-discussion-2011-2016/1100650-trailer-brake-module-fault.html#post13294026 the TBC sends a test voltage to the trailer brake circuit. That is what I was expecting.
Since there is nothing connected to pin 3 of my trailer it sees an open circuit. Since trailer brakes have 2 or more electromagnets at about 3.5 ohms each, the truck must want to see at least 1.75 ohms resistance to register a trailer. So now to the drawing board! Brake magnets are (if I did the maths right) about 115 watts at 14 vdc. (1.7 ohms @ 14 vdc = 8.25 amps. 8.25a @ 14vdc= 115.25 watts?)
Damn, that is a big resistor.
edit- @UR2EZ, did you wire the Recon lights to the brake output wire or to the brake light wire? Or do you know? I could see the truck thinking the light was a trailer if it went to the output wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts