Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be ordering a TS 6 pos. chip for my father's 2000 F350 7.3. Truck runs great, only 126k miles, no problems with it, bone stock though. Would i need any supporting mods for the trans? such as a shift kit, or the banks transcommand? If im adding power here, the last thing i want is for the trans to slip, or have the power not get to the ground. Also, is the stock exhaust fine? It does not have a cat. Anything else? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
Been asking the same about my 01 F250. I'm being told that bigger exhaust is a must. Thats what im shopping for now.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
You'll need gauges before any electronic performance. As for the exhaust, cutting out the muffler will do but a larger diameter pipe will help keep egts down. Lastly an intake, alot of guys have a DIY cold air intake ot you can pick up a kit. A stock trans should be fine with canned TS tunes except for the Extreme 140hp+.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would do the guages FIRST! then you will be able to keep an eye on the vitals. You could run the stock exhaust if you wanted but like stated before if will help the truck breath more. Stock tranny should be fine if your not beating on it real hard. Have fun with it :icon_ford:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Exhaust, intake, then gauges then chip

Sent from a Apple

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
In any order, gauges, intake, exhaust BEFORE any tunes...

I like the DIY intake/6637 filter mod, cheap, easy, quick, great results.

Straight pipe the stock exhaust, the stock muffler is the real bottle neck, no real gains in upping the rest of the system untill you're pushing 400+ hp, aside from exhaust note/tone.

Gauges should be EGT, Boost, Trans Temp (for auto trans), doesn't hurt to do them first or last, just be sure to have the EGT before any tunes, you'll see why once you start watching the gauge stock vs tuned. I like Auto Meters, and I like the mechanical trans temp better than the electronic one, install is a little more involved, due to needing to weld a 1/2" NPT bung in the trans pan for the thermocouple probe.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Man, tons of these threads about.
Better intake.
Free flowing exhaust.
Gauges are a good idea.
A valve body is also good for the trans.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the trans is fine as is? I'll cut off the muffler, get a nice tip for the exhaust, and do the 6637 intake. And get gauges. Are glowshift ones fine?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Some have been fine with the GSs. Others have had problems. Up to you.
Like I said, I'd add a valve body to the trans. That's just me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
John Woods, Gregg Evans, or a BTS valve body are best.
I wouldn't DIY.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
John Woods, Gregg Evans, or a BTS valve body are best.
I wouldn't DIY.
I found a John Wood valve body from riffraff diesel so ill grab that. Should i get the transgo tugger shift kit as well? And i wouldnt do it myself, i have a diesel truck repair place close by that does my work

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
The valve body makes a 'shift kit' obsolete.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should i get a deeper, finned trans pan? And lastly, and mods to the turbo? thanks for the advice

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Some do that. Personally, I'd get a 6.0 trans cooler. They are HUGE. Roughly three times larger than a 7.3 cooler, and they literally bolt right into place.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The 6.0 trans cooler is more effective than finned trans pan, you could always do both...

·
Registered
769 Posts
The only thing you might do to the turbo is add a wicked wheel if you find that you are getting surge.

other than that plug the waste gate and call it done.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Plugging the wastegate is the ghetto way of doing things and could result in damage. I wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Plugging the wastegate is the ghetto way of doing things and could result in damage. I wouldn't do that.
I've done this to both my trucks... educate me on what harm it can cause, I figured that for a stock truck with no gauges, it should be hooked up, and un-hooked it when I had gauges and could monitor things myself. Willing to listen to any insight you might have.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if i end up having surging issues with the chip, cause the truck is used for towing, then i was thinking the ats compressor housing. cause i hear with just the wicked wheel that you dont build as much boost as the stock one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts