Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

what style of cai is best?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Super Diesel 
#1 ·
I know most people say s&b and afe are the 2 best brands but s&b is the same style intake as stock and afe has one thats about the same to but they also have the "open air" intake with the divider around the filter and battery and looks like it seals on the hood. What are the advantages of both styles?

#2 ·
First I got the AiRaid filter, then I did the Zoodad cut out, finally I ditched the front of the restrictive box. This actually helped recover about a point of MPG after putting on the 35s.

Total cost $75.

Attachments

#13 ·
I thought that was my truck for a second LOL

#4 ·
Never mind, thought mine might have it but mine is just some idiot cutting the front cover of the intake.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I see 2 problems there: replacing an air filter box with another box, and it has the same crappy restrictive front.

Two reasons why I WON'T buy a cal for my truck.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#8 ·
Thats why im thinking about the one i posted the link for. Its more of an open style it costs more but i think with it would out perform the stock style ones.

#9 ·
The main argument for aftermarket CAI kits is this

1) the "open" design allows the intake to breath in more air, however the air is pulled from the engine bay (hot air) and won't benefit you as much as cooler air from outside the truck (that's where the zoodad mod comes in)

2) the OEM intake is too restrictive and focuses more on filtering air, rather than flowing air. This is great if you live on dirty dusty roads, or if you go off-roading quite a bit. If you don't, then by all means - get a more free-flowing design

I run the aFe Stage 2 Si Magnum intake with the Pro5R filter and love it. The zoodad mod is when you cut a hole in the section behind your front grill that allows air to channel directly into the stock intake housing and/or aftermarket intake housing. Who knows if it works or not, but it can't hurt to try. :)

#10 ·
Thats exaclty what i was thinking but i wasnt sure if i was right or not. It would be cool to see side by side dynos where they just switch the intakes.

#14 ·
The only side by side comparison that I know of - is when my group (the GPDA) did a comparison of a stock intake vs. aftermarket intake, and the difference was about 20rwhp. The aftermarket intake made more power.

I beg to differ about pulling 'hot engine air'. The air box is far enough forward that with a ZooDad it doesn't matter. I spent $75, picked up mpg, and run high 13s in the quarter, clearly it worked.
I wasn't saying that the open box design was better or worse, I was simply pointing out that those are the big arguments over CAI designs. If you listen to Gale Banks talk about air flow - he talks an awful lot about air density. Cooler air is what you want. Whether or not he's right, I don't know - it makes sense... but then again, I've seen a lot of stuff happen that just doesn't make any sense. Yet - there it is. :nod:

I think if someone wants to stick with the box style filter they could probly just replace the pipe from the filter box to the turbo with a smooth,better flowing pipe and get the same benefit and still have good filtering has anyone tried this? But i dont realy think you would sacrifice filtering whith either style because if you use a pro guard filter on both then filtering should be the same so the only real difference i see if maintenance and how often you clean the filter. But with the open style even if you cleaned it more often the ease of access should outweigh it. Plus if alot of you are like me your constantly tinkering with something anyways so cleaning a filter is no big deal.
There is a difference between certain filters in regards to air flow and filtration. The ProGuard7 filters are good for dusty roads and that sort of thing, but they filter NOWHERE near as good/thorough as the stock OEM filter design. However, the ProGuard7 flows more air than the stocker.

You can't have the best of both... either the air filter you're using filters better or it flows better. :thumb:

#11 ·
I beg to differ about pulling 'hot engine air'. The air box is far enough forward that with a ZooDad it doesn't matter. I spent $75, picked up mpg, and run high 13s in the quarter, clearly it worked.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#12 ·
I think if someone wants to stick with the box style filter they could probly just replace the pipe from the filter box to the turbo with a smooth,better flowing pipe and get the same benefit and still have good filtering has anyone tried this? But i dont realy think you would sacrifice filtering whith either style because if you use a pro guard filter on both then filtering should be the same so the only real difference i see if maintenance and how often you clean the filter. But with the open style even if you cleaned it more often the ease of access should outweigh it. Plus if alot of you are like me your constantly tinkering with something anyways so cleaning a filter is no big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.