Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got to pull my steering gear/box, what size pitman arm puller and where to buy? thanks for any advice

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Yep, that's the one I use. Works like a champ. Don't waste your time on the cheapos.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i measured, it needs to be at least 3 1/4 wide and 1" deep, autozone did not have any that big. I got some 2 jaw, 3 ton pulling forks i bet i could of made work, but did not have to. My steering gearbox was shot, so i pulled it with pitman arm on. Once on shop floor, upside down, one tap with the sludge sent the pitman arm flying off. Thanks for help guys.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Come on...Lets see some pics of the carnage!! lol

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Go to advance auto or autozone. They have the free loan a tool program. I've used their puller a few times in a bind.

EDIT:

Pictures? If the pitman arm came off that easily, and the box was stripped, I'd replace it. Chances are the splines aren't as tight as they should be any more, and an upgraded box isn't cheap-no point in damaging the sector shaft. If I were you, and was going to be doing a hydraulic assist, I'd take this opportunity to disassemble and drill/tap the new box for the hydraulic fittings. Just use some pipe plugs until you're ready to finish it!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be going to hydro assist, going to call ******* in the morning and see what they will do. I posted a video in another thread before the issues. I was going through a skinny cannon, about 15mph when the driver front tire got a overhang, solid rock, the truck slammed to a stop and the wheel spun left hard, the tires went to full left lock in an instant, it was a hard hit, stripped the gearbox. Limped home, spinning the steering wheel back and forth full lock only gave about 10% of normal turning after that, she made it home..... will go hydro assist...... just got to figure out witch kit, most ask for a working core, mine is toast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts