Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently visited my local Ford Dealer to have some recall work done.

I went there to have the computer re-flashed with the latest updates. They were booked like mad and they told me if I didnt mind having it done outside they would squeeze me in.

While outside the Tech come out with a little briefcase that had in it a laptop. He hooked it up and began to perform the re-flash. Anyone who has read any of my other post will know how much work I have done to this truck. I told the dealership tech that I had been thru so much crap over this truck that I was starting to fall in love. He looked at me with a puzzled face and said this,

"Son, I been working at this here dealer for 10 years and my advise to you is to sell this thing and get a 7.3 liter... And thats from one mechanic to another"

I was somewhat beside myself, it felt almost like someone calling a close friend or family member a bad name. I was tempted to lash out however he was not yet done with the job. Just then he gave me my oppertunity by trying to rub it in a little more with the statment of,

"I would not own one of these 6.0 liter trucks if someone gave it to me"

I then told him that the truck was given to me by the state because the customer didnt pay the repair bill. He chuckled and told me to sell it now before the truck broke me. We hit it off from that point on and he even graphed the recently installed injectors (8 months) and let me know that #5 and #6 were not firing. I was really bummed as changing the injectors was a PITA and I had purchased them awhile back from a private seller who did not offer a warranty.

The truck must have sat for near 4-5 months, and the customer said that he was still using the fuel additive even after we replaced his injectors. I find it funny that people think these things save them money but really the cost to fix the items that it plugs up more than offsets any savings on fuel.

My question is does anyone know or ever hear of injectors going bad from just sitting? It ran like a raped ape prior to the time it had to sit for almost a half year. Is it possible I just got a bad couple of injectors out of the 8?

I dont know if I should keep it, sell it or blow it up. Between getting stiffed on the repairs, run down at the dealer, and now the previous owner/customer coming around acting like he did me some sort of favor for not paying his bill, I dont know what to do. I am now stuck with the truck and what I really needed was my money! Yeah its a nice truck, yeah people hate it, yeah its lots of fun and yeah some say I got it for a good price, but really it has done nothing but keep me from making money and doing other things. If I add up all the time and money I have had to put out I am damn near $16,000!!!!

I think I just need a good pat on the a$$ and a "go get em' tiger" and I should be just fine. :hehe:

In reality this truck IS breaking me. And I am a mechanic whom owns a repair shop. Let that be a warning to all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yikes, quite a dilemma... I'm in the market for my first PSD so this has some influence on my decision whether to 7.3 or 6.0. I will graduate from Chiropractic school this saturday and i will be in debt from my school loans in the 6 digits, so i need a reliable diesel.

"Go Git 'em (a 7.3) Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!" :thumb:

Best of luck!

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have noticed that the 6.0's seem a lot more peppy than the 7.3's that I have driven. I dont know why since the 7.3 has some 1.3 liters more displacement but it just seems like the 6.0 is more "Sporty" than the 7.3

I have worked on MANY 7.3 liters in my day, most of them in cube vans so I may not be comparing apples to apples.

One thing I did notice was a small loss of top end power after I had the computer re-flashed.

I really think this truck loves me, however I am thinking the person who busted out my windows does not! :hehe:

Does anyone have for sale the drivers side door glass at a good price? Talk about kicking a guy when he is down!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sure a 6.0 may be more "peppy" than the 7.3, but that don't mean sh!t when it's in and out of the shop! If you want something fast....get a race car if you want a dependable hard-working truck get the 7.3

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
If it's breaking you, I would definitely consider selling and getting a 7.3, JMO.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure a 6.0 may be more "peppy" than the 7.3, but that don't mean sh!t when it's in and out of the shop! If you want something fast....get a race car if you want a dependable hard-working truck get the 7.3
Sure the 7.3 is dependable, but its a slug. Im more into the "Sports Truck" thing. I remember the first time I took my wife for a ride in this truck the day after I got the title. The snow was 2 foot deep and I floored it just to show her what it would do. Once the turbo started whistling dixi and the G's set in my wifes eyes poped out, she turned white, grabbed her seat belt and she started screaming "oh-lord"!

I guess its just one of them things. I agree with you about the 7.3 being more dependable and heck even the parts for the 7.3 are less expensive. But I dont have a choice, I have got to make due with what has come to me.

I must admit I am starting to enjoy complaining about my Ford. Its like an emotional roller coster. Some days are better than others.

·
Desert Storm Vet
638 Posts
I have a 7.3L and I am glad I got it. certainly no lack of power, and I have had to do virtually nothing to it since I bought it (other than regular maintenance) I was kind of worried when I first got on here and hearing things about the cps, the hpop etc. but I have had no issues, the only things I have done outside of maintenance are upgrades like, a programmer, bigger exhaust, better intake, and a boost fooler, And I love it. I just drove it from Las Vegas, via Denver to Nashville, I was about 200lbs over the gross vehicle weight (just the vehicle no towing) and It was a dream, I was comfortable driving for the long distance, and had no issues, I also got better mpg than I ever got before, my worst mpg was 13.5 and I think that is because the fuel in Vegas is crap. My best mpg was 16.5 @ 9000 lbs standing. This truck is probably one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I am pissed about fuel prices, but I still come out ok in the end. btw i got this truck used. And it has been flawless. :burnout

BTW on a separate note, anyone know why the Canadian smiley ain't? and Why does he look bored?

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's breaking you, I would definitely consider selling and getting a 7.3, JMO.
Honestly this truck has been so many problems that if I did sell it, I would NEVER buy another, even one with a 7.3

Some days I lover her, some days I hate her.... My truck that is...

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
Honestly this truck has been so many problems that if I did sell it, I would NEVER buy another, even one with a 7.3

Some days I lover her, some days I hate her.... My truck that is...
Almost sounds like you're married.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry couldn't resist.

Best advice... do what is best for you!:nod::nod:

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost sounds like you're married.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry couldn't resist.

Best advice... do what is best for you!:nod::nod:
One thing is for SURE... If I had to rely on a truck to haul things for a living, the 7.3 is where I would be. As it stands when the truck feels like having a bad day I just drive the Benz.

I dont need a truck this big, I feel out of place while driving it and sometimes I ask myself "Why lord?", "Why have you sent this monster to me!?".

Course seeing my wife who is all of 100 lbs and about 5 foot 10 inches crawl in and out of this thing still makes me laugh to this very day. If you think thats funny you should see her trying to park it! :hehe:

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
I love my 6.0L and all its associated problems, most of which have been resolved thankfully. It sounds like you still have some nagging gremlins with yours. Injectors are known to go bad when they run low on hp oil pressure. I think you may still have a fueling problem.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its hard to say, everything is online, no codes and I seen the graph with my own eyes. My gut feeling is someone got one over on me.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
What happened to all the injectors you pulled out of it? Out of the old 8 you may still have a few good ones you can put back in...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts