Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends are always saying how diesel was a bad idea becasue so many things need to be replaced on them. If you keep the truck well maintained shouldnt they last a very long time w.o major work, for EX. injectors, trans, exc. Whats the expected life span for the glow plugs on the 7.3's and how long to injectors typically last? my truck is a 97 7.3 cab/half 8 ft bed w. 170K on the dash. I picked it up for 5800$ and it looked very good and was all stock. I changed the fluids in everything and replaced the water pump becasue the seal was shot. Any info is greatly appreciated :icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
next time someone goes off ranting about how Diesel is a bad idea, tell them this:

1. 5k miles between oil changes
2. No smog
3. No spark plugs
4. average life expectancy is 500k miles vs 250K for a gas
5. better MPG's

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know all of that but what really wears out on these trucks?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
and gassers cant even compete with the torque these monsters can put out. The same stuff will wear out on these as any other truck, the motor itself will probably never die though. Water pumps, injectors, turbos, fuel pumps, oil pumps, glow plugs, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc.. all have a limited life to them and alot is dependent on driving habits and maintenance:thumb:

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
At one point you are definitely going to have to replace your o-rings on the injectors, I had to get mine replaced at 114,000 miles, definitely bearings, I had those plus brakes and rotors and hubs replaced at 130,000. I also had to get a new tranny at 130,000, but my truck was primarily used for towing before I bought it.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
and gassers cant even compete with the torque these monsters can put out. The same stuff will wear out on these as any other truck, the motor itself will probably never die though. Water pumps, injectors, turbos, fuel pumps, oil pumps, glow plugs, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc.. all have a limited life to them and alot is dependent on driving habits and maintenance:thumb:
Great post:thumb:

Injectors may need attention after 150k, water pumps, in my experience, after 200k. Glow plugs in the 150-200k area. The biggest thing will be the CPS. Go ahead and get a new one and keep a spare.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I forgot. i did pop a new CPS in

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think your friends and uninformed...With proper maintenance your truck will last a very long time. Longer than a gas motor and will put out more power and work more efficiently while doing so....Maybe your friends are just jealous ???

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
I agree diesel is way better than a gas motor in so many aspects and with the proper maintence it will totally outlast a gas engine, just one of the reasons I will never buy a gas truck again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts