Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post! I just bought my wife a 2001 Excursion. I want to get the best MPG possible. What kind of programmer/intake/exhaust combination will get me the best results? thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. I've heard good things about the DP tuner. What is so special about it and the Tony Wildman tuners? I'm just ignorant. Also, does anybody have an opinion on the brand of exhaust I should use? I've put MBRP on other trucks and have been pleased. Are there any that have a milder tone? My wife is going to be driving this, I don't want to hear about it every day. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
they are both custom tuned chips.... i run the TW chip in my own rig. one thing you get with the TW chip is unlimited reburns. with the DP you will have to pay to have it reburned if you ever decided to change the tunes....

i too like the MBRP..... i havnt heard an exhaust that is quiter.. my suggestion is keep the muffler on to quite it down

let me know if you have any other questions bud

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't found anyone who has done it yet, but changing the rear gearing should give you a nice increase in MPG. They offer a 3.55 and better yet a 3.08 for the Sterling rearend. I just don't know how much you would give up in towing. I would think the power mods above should make it pull at least as good as stock after changing the gearing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2001 Excursion

I would check my CPS -I changed mine about 6 months ago to the International unit and my MPG went from 14.5 to almost 17. Apparently it has been faulty since brand new...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
yea def. check the cps, mine crapped out on me on the way home from the dealer i bought it from...i was really hating ford to say the least...but were cool now.

o CPS is cam-shaft position sensor...the 7.3s had a bunch of problems, ford replaces them for free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excursion

If you do replace the CPS on your own before the recall as I and some others did, Ford will reimburse you the cost of the unit you bought. The new units are much better than the original ones because they provide a stronger signal to the engine computer. I am still going to keep a spare with me though!!!

A few months ago I had a problem with the fuel filter leaking. The stock O-rings barely touch the housing and sometimes don't seal properly. I've now switched to the one piece cap and filter and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ken
Where did you get the one piece cap and filter?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do, thanks for the info. I was just curious because a while ago I replaced the fuel filter and now... sometimes I can smell a little fuel when opening the hood. So I thought that this might be the problem. However I am not a 100% sure. My truck is a 2wd manual and I am getting 20 miles to the gallon, so I don't know. Any other advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
21 Posts
the one I bought is by Baldwin (spelling may be wrong) - sells for under $40. It came highly recommended by the diesel shop that I take the Excursion to.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
I do, thanks for the info. I was just curious because a while ago I replaced the fuel filter and now... sometimes I can smell a little fuel when opening the hood. So I thought that this might be the problem. However I am not a 100% sure. My truck is a 2wd manual and I am getting 20 miles to the gallon, so I don't know. Any other advice would be appreciated!
No Problem man

WOW wish mine got 20 MPG

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
When I installed AFE Stage 2 I picked up 1.2-1.5 MPG. About a month later I put Dp chip in and installed 4in FBD exhaust. Since then only have drove short trips in town, so pretty hard to determine MPG's. Would suspect Exhaust helped, becouse the intake did. But can't say for sure. My speculation is that I haven't gained any MPG,s with the chip. But increase in power is very nice, now I can pass if i want to, when before I was thinking " do I have enough room?"

I was concerned about exhaust noise too. I haven't heard any others but mine. From inside, with the windows rolled up it is only slightly louder. With the window down deffinately louder, and when I hear my wife leave I can sure hear her. But It's never been obnauxious from inside.there's no performance difference with the different exhaust, a 4in pipe is a 4 in pipe. I am very happy with my mods and recommend them, and am sure going with TW chip and MBRP exhaust is fine too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was concerned about exhaust noise too. I haven't heard any others but mine. From inside, with the windows rolled up it is only slightly louder. With the window down deffinately louder, and when I hear my wife leave I can sure hear her. But It's never been obnauxious from inside.there's no performance difference with the different exhaust, a 4in pipe is a 4 in pipe. I am very happy with my mods and recommend them, and am sure going with TW chip and MBRP exhaust is fine too.
I'd like to get a bigger exhaust, but heard bad things like getting a drone.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'd definitely do exhaust, personally I have 4", and wish it would be a lil louder, and have not experienced any drone at all. And I've tried at different RPM's and speeds to see if I could make it produce the "drone", but haven't been able to do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd definitely do exhaust, personally I have 4", and wish it would be a lil louder, and have not experienced any drone at all. And I've tried at different RPM's and speeds to see if I could make it produce the "drone", but haven't been able to do it.
Can you tell me EXACTLY what exhaust you have? pipe, muffler, tip, etc?

I want to keep it as quiet as possible, to keep happy family members happy.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts