Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOW do i tell what kinda of transmission i have. its got a plate on it that has 7J on it. 1999 250 4X4 auto matic?
thanks

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
4R100... All superduty 7.3 Autos are the 4r100

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i didn't know that. And now i do. what's the best mod to get for the 4r100. thats my next move.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks, i didn't know that. And now i do. what's the best mod to get for the 4r100. thats my next move.

Getting a BTS transmission or John Wood Transmission would be the best mod.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHAT ABOUT A VALVE BODY??? What's that all about. i'm looking for mileage and pulling power when i'm not worried about the fuel mileage

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
A BTS or JW valve body is a nice upgrade as well as a valve kit

·
Registered
497 Posts
WHAT ABOUT A VALVE BODY??? What's that all about. i'm looking for mileage and pulling power when i'm not worried about the fuel mileage
U asked and i quote, "what is the best mod to get for a 4R100?" So i gave you the best mod. Nowif you would have asked how would a Valve body work, then i would have given a positive opinion on that as well. A built transmission would be the BEST mod, but a valve body would work fine too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SO, ENLIGHTEN me on this valve body, cuz my tranny ain't going nowhere any time soon. hopefully. even though its got 181k on it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not funny. I don't abuse it and I haul tractors with it all the time. I do actually change the oil & filter on a regular basis. I have no problem with it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
not funny. I don't abuse it and I haul tractors with it all the time. I do actually change the oil & filter on a regular basis. I have no problem with it.
Regardless of what you say...FUNNY. These transmissions are seemingly hit or miss. Yours will fail shortly, mark my words. Its an unfortunate truth we must all accept.

Anywho...a valve body is a great upgrade. It can really firm up the shifts for a good price. But Im telling you, instead save the cash and save for a real upgraded trans or at the very least a heavy duty rebuild of some sort. Do the valve body upgrade and the Transgo Tugger kit also since you tow.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hit or miss. with 181k. ??? if i can get her to 200k which will most likely happen. i'd say ITS A HIT. most peole i know r readry to trade theres vechiles in at 120k. with more problems than transmissions. But i hear what you are saying spoke with a ole boy at the fuel station not long ago he had 400k on his. the only problem he had was a leaking power steering pump. and it had a incrediable urge to stop at all diesel pumps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts