Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just recently purchased a 99.5 f-250 7.3. It came chipped with a 4 position adjustable chip. The chip is adjusted by a black knob installed on my dash. I can't seem to find where the actual chip is located. Does anyone know the name brand this chip could possibly be and or the power gains of each position? Thank you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
TS 6 position chip. (only 4 tunes on yours, but has enough memory for 6) Could be any of the custom tuners, or it could even be TS themselves.

The actual chip is plugged into the PCM. You can see the PCM from inside the cab of the truck. Look to the rear of the e brake pedal and you will see a grey box looking thing in a black plastic sleeve. That is the PCM. You should see a wire coming out of it and if you trace that wire, it will go back to the knob on your dash.

If you remove the chip, it MIGHT have an indication of who tuned it. Although I wouldn't bet on it. (They will all say TS on them, it doesn't necessarily mean it has TS tunes though)

Read this and you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I see. Thanks alot. Also, do you think it would bea bad idea to leave this chip turned to the highest power gain all the time?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh, I see. Thanks alot. Also, do you think it would bea bad idea to leave this chip turned to the highest power gain all the time?
No, I know a few guys who run their highest settings all the time for fuel economy. If you are constantly mashing the pedal and driving like an idiot you will definitely wear things out quicker. But if you use common sense and drive like a normal person you will be fine. (Don't be afraid to have a little fun once in a while either, just dont drive like a street racer all the time)

Do you have gauges on the truck? It is important to monitor things when you have a chip. EGT, Boost, and if you have an auto transmission, trans temp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, but I plan to get them in the near future. Do you know the psi and temps for both exhaust and transmission that I don't need to pass once I do have these gauges? Would mechanical or electronic gauges be better? Or does it really matter?

·
Registered
362 Posts
For temps and pressure info take a look here.

As for electric vs mechanical - I have the EV line from ISSPRO which is the slightly cheaper version with a mechanical boost gauge. It works great, just requires slightly more wiring than the EV2 line. (Although not hard to do) I highly recommend checking out kens performance solutions for your gauges. I bought my ISSPROs there. Amazing price and service!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Thanks alot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts