Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a02 X with 183,000 today as I was changing the oil something came out with the oil a small piece of bent tubing. Its about 1/4inch thick and about 3" long if straighten out one end looks like it broke off but from where. What is it? Where did it come from? How do I fix it?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
very strange. can you post up a pic?

·
Rebel
657 Posts
Need a pic..:thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
sounds like a piston cooling nozzle. Post a pic to be sure but thats probably it. Also don't drive it till you know because that 10 dollar part can wipe out a piston and cylinder very quickly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is a piston cooling nozzle where is it located in the heads or in the block, I'll see what I can do about getting a picture.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are located in the block at the bottom of the cylinders usually, i'm not really sure on these engines maybe someone else knows.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is the piston cooling nozzle that was in the bottom of my pan, while the part cost less than $10 it is 1. a pain to get to bottom of the block in fact there are 8 of them. 2. this little part can do thousands of dollars of damage. At this point don't know what damage has occured. Hopefully it just broke but I'm not counting on it. Thanks to Rynoe for your help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm gonna guess that the motors gonna have to come out so the pan can come off and the pistons can be inspected and the nozzle replaced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ya it's a big job for such a small part. Depending when it fell off, keep your fingures crossed the cylinder and piston are ok.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
wow is all i can say, that would send shivers down my spine!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
pic's pic's we need

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I lucked out, the mechanic said after pulling the motor that the pistons look good no scoring on the cylinder walls. So while they have it out they are replacing all 8 of the nozzles. Should have it back some time next week.:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes that is the pain about these trucks... to remove the oil pan you have to remove the engine... good thing these engines are easy to remove eh.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Yup, funny you were able to fish that out of the little oil plug hole :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts