Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard this term before but don't know what it means. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
basically not enough heat is being generated from combustion to fully burn all of the fuel

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
not anything to worry about in anything direct injected....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Long idle times on a 6.0 is the kiss of death for the EGR system.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wet stacking on a 6.0 will also cause build up on the exhaust valves and in the worst case cause them to hang open. When the pistion hits the valves the best you can hope for is a broken rocker or bridge. The high idle mod will raise combustion temps high enough that this is not a problem. If you need to run on low idle for a long time it's a good idea to drive it for a bit to burn the build up off.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Long idle times on a 6.0 is the kiss of death for the EGR system.
EGRs are :supergay:

Haha, I know off topic but they don’t help anything. Another government and liberal idea that will create the exact opposite of its original intent!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I like when Galaxie replies so I can check out the hot avatar! :flag:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Wet Stacks -> what I get to see when my beautiful wife comes out of the shower. :woot: sorry....couldn't resist.

As noted here, condition occurs when a diesel motor is ran below its most efficient operating range for a long period of time. So for example while idling, the motor cools, fuel is injected and not fully burned due to the lower operating temps. Eventually the injector tips begin spraying a poor pattern.

I haven't seen this on these 6.0 motors and I've let mine idle for a lengthy period of time. Not saying that it doesn't happen. I've seen this more often on older model tractors I have.

·
Registered
478 Posts
what is too long perioid of time to idle? lets say about cold mornings like -25*F
and when you have normal operating temp engine and you let idle before shutting it off end of the day?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
what is too long perioid of time to idle? lets say about cold mornings like -25*F
and when you have normal operating temp engine and you let idle before shutting it off end of the day?
Set up high idle and dont worry about it. without it a few minutes is probably your limit.

·
Registered
478 Posts
how high the rpm:s rise with high ide mod?

cause i can adjust idle little with the SCT-livewire.

or do i need it cause if i let the truck idle at cold mornings
it does by it self rise the rpm:s

dont remember what was the temp when it starts to do that or how high it rise rpm:s
and when you push the brake it drops back to normal idle.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
how high the rpm:s rise with high ide mod?

cause i can adjust idle little with the SCT-livewire.

or do i need it cause if i let the truck idle at cold mornings
it does by it self rise the rpm:s

dont remember what was the temp when it starts to do that or how high it rise rpm:s
and when you push the brake it drops back to normal idle.
If you adjust the idle higher with a SCT, it will stay constantly on high idle, even at a red light in drive. Don't do it.

You can read the info in this link, this ones for the '03-'04 models, but at the top is a link to the '05-'07 models.
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/Other/High_Idle/High_idle_mod.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts