Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. i am new to the forum and i just bought me a 1993 ford f250 7.3 idi diesel truck and i was going to get a banks sidewinder kit and i hypermax intercooler for it. but i was thinking putting a ATS 2000 turbo on it which one is better and got more power i can get out of it? i am new with the idi diesel so please tell me what all i can do to get the max power i can get out of the truck. thanks for your time

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I dont like the Banks kit, as they use a Mitshubishi turbo that is really really hard to get parts for. I guess the exact turbo nobody else uses in the US.

The ATS kit is nice as its basically a Garrett turbo with a different intake housing on it. I would probably steer you that way.

With a good turbo, intercooler, injection system up to snuff (proper timing, fairly new), and pump maxed out you should have about 190-200 hp and pushing 400ft lbs at the wheels.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i would think a little bit more after you get the turbo in take the injection pump to a shop near by have it rebuilt and tell them to set it 15% over spec youll run a little quicker and youll have plenty of fuel to run the turbo to its full potential

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for telling me.does the ATS Turbo has all the hardware in the kit to set it up? and I looked up ATS website and they said gains up to 50% power to the rear wheels. i already have 185 hp and 360 lbs of trq. and i like to get the hypermax pulse intercooler kit and a exhaust sysytem. i would thought i would have more hp and more trq than that?

·
Registered
402 Posts
ok thanks for telling me.does the ATS Turbo has all the hardware in the kit to set it up? and I looked up ATS website and they said gains up to 50% power to the rear wheels. i already have 185 hp and 360 lbs of trq. and i like to get the hypermax pulse intercooler kit and a exhaust sysytem. i would thought i would have more hp and more trq than that?
those are sales numbers :hehe: the people on here are a bit more truthful about actuall horses to the wheels wich are the ones that really matter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea the key word UP TO 50% which it never is. and so your saying i will be spending $2500-$3000 for 15 more hp and 40 more lbs. of trq?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Yeah probably. It would still be fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
One of you is looking at flywheel hp and the other rear wheel hp. So you're talking about getting more than 15 hp after the mods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i decided to go with the ATS Turbo and buy all my parts from there. I been reading about them and they say they built strong.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
From the last IDI Rally in Bowling Green, Ky:

Name - Horsepower - Torque in ft/lbs

Non turbo results

John Herbert 143.9 261.3
Marnin Gehman 137.4 257.1
Heath Sutton 123.2 218.7
Matthias Agne 108.8 229.1

Turbo results

Heath Sutton- DPS inj 185.1 404.0
Heath Sutton MM's 178.7 387.9
Joe Perry 172.5 313.6
Suzi Agne 151.9 284.2
Steve Reitner 150.0 300.3
Chris Barber 148.7 278.8
Jared Whitmer 136.0 304.1

Powerstrokes

Gary Russell 302.8 557.2
Aric Hornsby 301.9 543.7
Bonnie Young 181.8 373.3

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh ok thanks. yea im stilling deciding on turbos. and i am also looking at water/methanol injection system for it. im thinking you can install turbo and intercooler with water/methanol injection right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked up Stage 1 injectors from DPS. and i was wondering do they make a higher stage for the idi or is stage 1 the highest performance injector? and i was also looking up high performance injector pump. Any one have stage 1 or know anything about them?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Stay away from DPS injectors. All he does is grind the tip off of them. They will flow a lot...but they just pi$$ the fuel in and you get horrible fuel economy and a ton of smoke....along with rough idle.

The moose injectors arent proven yet, but they seem better. In the dyno run with the moose injectors, his boost shot past 15psi faster than he could imagine, which superheated the air, making him loose power.

I would just stick to stock BB code injectors.

Your 5 speed is a ZF-5 speed, pretty good trannies, but the dual mass flywheels suck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but i cant find moose injectors. does anyone else make high performance injectors?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts