Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get the loudest muffler I can with the deepest tone- I have a 4" straight from Turbo, and love the way it sounds when its at about 2000+ rpm- I just need to quiet it down when it is idleing- Normally I wouldn't care- but its getting warm and windows are going to be open, and firing it up at about 6am won't be pleasant for neighbors-
yeah, yeah, I know who cares, but kinda hard being a pillar of the community while being as A$$hole... lol

Anyone ideas? Experiences?

·
Premium Member
14,367 Posts
I wish I could help but I don't think I've ever seen anyone go back from being straight. Heck I live in a neighborhood too and fire up at 0500. My rig isn't "that" loud - the ungodly sound is when I romp on her. When you say the "loudest" muffler how much are you trying to quiet it down?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I leave for work @ 430 am. Until it wakes my daughter up, f em.

·
Registered
60 Posts
• MBRP STAINLESS STELL MUFFLER that the best t that i have had has a relly bad axx sound :):)

·
Registered
492 Posts
i had the 4" high flow mbrp and it had a great sound and was quiet. i live in a cul de sac and nobody ever complained. keep in mind you get alot of tone from the tip.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could help but I don't think I've ever seen anyone go back from being straight. Heck I live in a neighborhood too and fire up at 0500. My rig isn't "that" loud - the ungodly sound is when I romp on her. When you say the "loudest" muffler how much are you trying to quiet it down?
just trying to keep the jet to a dull roar during idling... It tends to echo- little loud now that windows are open, I think screw 'em too- but a fireman in the community has a rep to up hold- Unfortunately

About the tip... how ya mean? I have a 4" thoughts of going to a 5"

·
Registered
60 Posts
5'' soulds great try it

·
Dirtleg
634 Posts
aero turbine is the loudest but it is pricey

·
Registered
224 Posts
Magnaflow muffler, great sound!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had the Magnaflow muffler on mine and it's a straight through with a cheese grater type muffler in it. The loudness at idle didn't really change after I did the straight pipe though, just when I step on it or start to take off. The only real noticeable difference is the tone, it's not as deep when you put a muffler on it.

I say just leave it or possibly go for a smaller tip? :dunno: That should quiet it down just a tad.

·
Served Our Country!
196 Posts
just trying to keep the jet to a dull roar during idling... It tends to echo- little loud now that windows are open, I think screw 'em too- but a fireman in the community has a rep to up hold- Unfortunately

About the tip... how ya mean? I have a 4" thoughts of going to a 5"
I guess I'm lucky. I haven't gotten any complaints from my neighbors yet. Maybe it's because my next door neighbor has a Viper, a '70 Challenger with a 426 Hemi, and a street rod with a 426 Hemi and open headers on it. He always revs them up alot before he drives them, so I never feel bad about how loud my truck is. :)

Just because you're a fireman doesn't mean you have to be quiet. Besides, you're only being loud ten mornings a month. :hehe:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Mufflers are for faries!!!!!!

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
I like the tone a Magnaflow offers! Nice and Deep!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Besides, you're only being loud ten mornings a month. :hehe:
Amen... IAFF Local 365
Well, I was just tryin to be nice I guess... just seems rather loud in the AM, guess its not as bad as when I fire up the V-twin in the AM... guess the search goes on...

·
Served Our Country!
196 Posts
Amen... IAFF Local 365
Well, I was just tryin to be nice I guess... just seems rather loud in the AM, guess its not as bad as when I fire up the V-twin in the AM... guess the search goes on...
I hear ya, Brother. I guess I get a twinge of guilt in the mornings too, but it goes away quickly. Loud pipes save lives. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a 4" bullydog muffler but I dont know how it sounds I never installed it but its for sale :-D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts